Physician Scientist Training Program
The Program is designed to attract graduating medical students that already have a strong background in research and whom aspire to be academic faculty; poised to conduct basic and translational research examining the clinical benefit of discovery made in the laboratory. The APSDP program is supported by the department in conjunction with an NIH T32 postdoctoral training grant, which is one of only fifteen T32 grants within anesthesiology in the country. View all 15 Anesthesiology Postdoctoral Research Training Program Institutions.
Notably, the program at MCW is the only T32 grant in any medical specialty, that we are aware of, that protects a minimum of 4 months of research during each year of clinical training. Our experience with this arrangement has been extremely positive allowing the resident to grow in clinical skills, medical knowledge and research competitiveness through out the program.
Benefits of the program
- The flexibility to choose a research pathway that suits the trainees needs. Options include:
- A clinical residency training program combined with a research fellowship that is individualized for maximum flexibility in scheduling to enable the integration of research throughout residency training extended over a 5 year program
- An intensive research training with 12 -24 consecutive months as a medical resident.
- Another individualized custom research training option, such as research integrated with a clinical fellowship or clinical duties as faculty
- Cumulative time spent in research is up to 24 months
- Opportunities for research outside the Anesthesiology Department
- Research stipend provided for each year of integrated research fellowship
- Provision of annual academic allowance for travel to meetings and to fund training–related expenses
- Availability of coursework in related disciplines
- Mentorship to enhance the transition from trainee to independent investigator
Interested applicants should contact Dr. Thomas Ebert, Vice Chair, Department of Anesthesiology (email@example.com) for more information.
Current and recent trainees
|William Gross, MD, PhD||2014 –2018||PGY-VI, MCW|
|Christopher Roberts, MD, PhD||2013 –2018||Faculty, MCW|
|Maia Terashvili, PhD||2016 –2018||Postdoctoral fellow in Zeljko Bosnjak lab, MCW|
|Julie Freed, MD, PhD||2011 – 2016||Assistant Professor in Cardiac Anesthesia and Research|
|Joseph Fisher, PhD||2013 – 2014||Postdoctoral fellow in Sridhar Rao lab, BRI|
|Justin Miller, PhD||2014||Faculty Carthage College|