Physician Scientist Training Program
The APSTP program is designed to enhance the career development of future physician scientists who are clinically skilled and able to conduct state-of-the-art research by offering research time during clinical anesthesiology training and collaboration with strong mentorship from clinician scientists at MCW. Research time requires success in clinical training and follows the American Board of Anesthesiology template for up to 25% research time in a 4 year anesthesiology residency program.
The Program is designed to attract graduating medical students that already have a strong background in research and whom aspire to be academic faculty; poised to conduct basic and translational research examining the clinical benefit of discovery made in the laboratory. The APSTP program is supported by the department and the research experience is unique for each individual based upon their area of investigation. The total amount of protected research time and the integration of research into residency follows guidelines outlined by the American Board of Anesthesiology.
Our experience with past residents in the APSTP has been extremely positive, allowing the participants to develop their clinical skills, medical knowledge and research competitiveness throughout the program.
Benefits of the program
- The flexibility to choose a research pathway that suits the trainees needs. Options include:
- A clinical residency training program combined with a research fellowship that is individualized for maximum flexibility in scheduling to enable the integration of research throughout residency training extended over a 4-5 year program
- An intensive research training with 12 -24 consecutive months as an anesthesiology resident.
- Another individualized custom research training option, such as research integrated with a clinical fellowship or clinical duties as faculty.
- Opportunities for research and mentorship outside the Anesthesiology Department in related disciplines
- Research stipend provided for each year of integrated research fellowship
- Provision of annual academic allowance for travel to meetings and to fund training–related expenses
- Academic mentorship from strong clinician educators
- Mentorship to enhance the transition from trainee to independent investigator
Interested applicants should contact Dr. Thomas Ebert, Adjunct Professor, Department of Anesthesiology at email@example.com for more information.
|William Gross, MD, PhD||2014 –2018||Assistant Professor, Anesthesiology, MCW|
|Christopher Roberts, MD, PhD||2013 –2018||Assistant Professor, Anesthesiology, MCW
|Maia Terashvili, PhD||2016 –2018||Research Scientist, Gastroenterology, Medicine, MCW
|Julie Freed, MD, PhD||2011 – 2016||Associate Professor and Director of Clinical Research, Anesthesiology, MCW
|Joseph Fisher, PhD||2013 – 2014||Assistant Professor, Biology, Concordia University - Wisconsin
|Justin Miller, PhD||2014||Assistant Professor, Biology, Carthage College