MCW Supporting Undergraduate Research Experiences (SURE) Program
Application Deadline: February 1, 2023
The MCW Cardiovascular Center and Herma Heart Institute are partnering with the MCW Graduate School’s Summer Program for Undergraduate Research (SPUR) and Office of Student Inclusion and Academic Enrichment to provide mentored summer experiences in cardiovascular research in our research laboratories. The Supporting Undergraduate Research Experiences (AHA SURE) is supported by the American Heart Association (AHA). MCW is one of only seven institutions selected by the AHA to participate, a group that includes Boston University, Stanford University, Vanderbilt University, and Northwestern University. This program will provide a summer experience in cardiovascular research for three or four undergraduate students from ethnic/racial or LGBTQ+ groups under-represented in science in 2023.
About the SURE Program
Important SURE Program Dates
February 1, 2023
Program Dates: May 31 – August 4, 2023
The experience will be held in person at the Medical College of Wisconsin Milwaukee Campus:
8701 Watertown Plank Rd,
Milwaukee, WI 53226
If necessary, portions or all of the program may become virtual, but please plan at this time for the experience to be held in person.
- From under-represented ethnic/racial or LGBTQ+ groups in science
- Full time undergraduate, a rising sophomore, junior or senior at any United States college or university
- United States citizen, or a foreign national holding a student, exchange or permanent resident visa, including an F-1, H1, H1B, J1, PR, TC or TN visa. Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status requires additional AHA approval to apply.
- Expressed interest in biomedical research or healthcare
- Exemplary academic performance
- $6,000 stipend
- Lodging nearby campus, if the student is not locally-based
- Opportunity to travel to an AHA scientific meeting
Allison DeVan, PhD
Director of Training and Education, AHA SURE