Arthur R. Derse, MD, JD
Member, Culture & Systems Pillar, Kern Institute
- Kern Institute
8701 Watertown Plank Rd., Suite M1990
Milwaukee, WI 53226
Academic Appointments/Other Titles
- Julia and David Uihlein Chair in Medical Humanities
- Professor, Bioethics and Emergency Medicine
- Director of the Center for Bioethics and Medical Humanities
Dr. Derse serves as a resource for professionalism, ethics and medical humanities in medical education. His work is essential to the culture and systems change that is vital to advance character, competence and caring.
- Advance Directives
- Advisory Committees
- Bioethical Issues
- Codes of Ethics
- Commitment of Mentally Ill
- Defensive Medicine
- Disaster Medicine
- Double Effect Principle
- Education, Graduate
- Clinical Ethics Consultation
- Emergency Medicine
- Administrative Board Member, AAMC Council of Faculty and Academic Societies (CFAS)
- Board Member and Secretary, Association of Bioethics Program Directors
- Chair, Advocacy Committee, AAMC Council of Faculty and Academic Societies (CFAS)
- Director, MCW Center for Bioethics and Medical Humanities
- Director, MCW Medical Humanities Program
- Former Board Member, American Society for Law, Medicine and Ethics
- Former Chair, Veterans Health Affairs National Ethics Committee
- Member and Former Chair, Ethics Committee, American College of Emergency Physicians
- Past President, American Society for Bioethics and Humanities
Interactions With Police in the Emergency Care of Children: Ethical and Legal Considerations.
(Schultz ML, Winn M, Derse AR, Kaczor F, Levas MN.) Pediatr Emerg Care. 2023 Apr 01;39(4):226-229 PMID: 36727807 PMCID: PMC10082052 SCOPUS ID: 2-s2.0-85151574645 02/03/2023
Promoting Equity in Health Care through Human Flourishing, Justice, and Solidarity.
(Jotterand F, Spellecy R, Homan M, Derse AR.) J Med Philos. 2023 Feb 17;48(1):98-109 PMID: 35849078 SCOPUS ID: 2-s2.0-85148307243 07/19/2022
Civility in Health Care: A Moral Imperative.
(Geiderman JM, Moskop JC, Marco CA, Schears RM, Derse AR.) HEC Forum. 2022 Dec 22 PMID: 36547791 12/23/2022
Disruptive behavior among emergency department patients.
(Marco CA, Schears RM, Geiderman JM, Derse AR, Moskop JC.) Am J Emerg Med. 2022 Sep;59:176-177 PMID: 35489991 SCOPUS ID: 2-s2.0-85135385805 05/01/2022
The Physician-Patient Relationship.
(Derse AR.) N Engl J Med. 2022 Aug 25;387(8):669-672 PMID: 35984346 SCOPUS ID: 2-s2.0-85137126759 08/20/2022
Alzheimer's Disease and the Invisible Person: The Missing Patient Voice.
(Leder G, Derse AR.) Am J Bioeth. 2022 Jul;22(7):87-90 PMID: 35737481 SCOPUS ID: 2-s2.0-85133100862 06/24/2022
When Off-Label Prescribing Becomes Politicized: Do No Harm.
(Donnenberg VS, Derse AR, Sklar DP, McKinney RE.) J Clin Pharmacol. 2022 Jun;62(6):703-705 PMID: 35302243 PMCID: PMC9088343 SCOPUS ID: 2-s2.0-85128560481 03/19/2022
Artificial Intelligence in Emergency Medicine: Benefits, Risks, and Recommendations.
(Vearrier L, Derse AR, Basford JB, Larkin GL, Moskop JC.) J Emerg Med. 2022 Apr;62(4):492-499 PMID: 35164977 SCOPUS ID: 2-s2.0-85124557556 02/16/2022
Navigating the Hazards of Social Media.
(Iserson KV, Derse AR, Delpier M.) Fam Pract Manag. 2022;29(3):15-20 PMID: 35536299 SCOPUS ID: 2-s2.0-85129998587 05/11/2022
Medical Training and Errors: Competence, Culture, Caring, and Character.
(Derse AR.) Acad Med. 2020 Aug;95(8):1155-1158 PMID: 31833851 SCOPUS ID: 2-s2.0-85089128395 12/14/2019
Creating Reflective Space for Reflective and Unreflective Medical Students: Exploring Seminal Moments in a Large-Group Writing Session.
(Campbell BH, Treat R, Johnson B, Derse AR.) Acad Med. 2020 Jun;95(6):882-887 PMID: 32101930 SCOPUS ID: 2-s2.0-85085533419 02/27/2020
Medications for addiction treatment initiated from the emergency department: Ethical considerations.
(Marshall KD, Derse AR, Iserson KV, Kluesner N, Vearrier L.) Am J Emerg Med. 2020 Feb;38(2):343-348 PMID: 31831343 SCOPUS ID: 2-s2.0-85076540250 12/14/2019