Philosophies of Medical Education Transformation Laboratory (P-METaL)
The P-METaL lab focuses on foundational scholarship and research to guide education initiatives aiming at the transformation of medical education.
To become the conceptual arm of the Kern Institute engaged in foundational scholarship and research to guide education initiatives aiming at the transformation of medical education.
- Engage and support scholarship at the intersection of medical education, professional identity formation, and the philosophy of medicine
- Host the Practical Wisdom work group
- Develop and engage in empirical research projects to improve our understand of clinical learning environments and foster the training of wise, compassionate and caring physicians
- Develop innovative approaches for the implementation of a philosophy(ies) of medical education transformation
- Host the “virtual lab”
- Provide public outreach through events / conferences / workshops
- Intellectual humility
- Intellectual rigor
- Commitment to translational research
Collaboration & Outreach
- Collaboration with the Medical Education Data Science Laboratory and the Human Centered Design Laboratory + five Pillars
- Seeking national and international collaboration
- Strategic dissemination of the scholarship, research data and pedagogical innovations throughout MCW, KNN and (inter)nationally