Our Call to Action
Time alone will not bring equity. We must act to build an environment where all genders can thrive.
As MCW continues to seek inclusive excellence, IWill commit to gender equity by helping MCW become a place where everyone feels seen, heard, supported, and valued.
John R. Raymond, Sr., MD. President and CEO, Medical College of Wisconsin
Nearly 865 pledges from faculty, staff, students, and community members!
- 91% of respondents in the Follow Up Survey either agreed or strongly agreed the IWill campaigns improve gender equity at MCW.
- 88% of respondents in the Follow Up Survey either agreed or strongly agreed they have the power to create gender equity in their work environment.
I think the IWill campaign has helped to raise visibility for the importance of gender equity and the role culture plays in promoting and sustaining an equitable work community. I think the IWill campaign also has shown how top-down and bottom-up approaches are both needed to make positive change happen.
Alicia Witten, Program Director, Office of the Senior Vice President for Strategic Academic Partnerships, Kern National Network for Caring and Character in Medicine
IWill has both educated me and equipped me to improve gender equity. I know we have made a difference in our little corner of MCW, and I hope your work will continue as this must be a sustained effort.
Ryan Spellecy, PhD, Ursula von der Ruhr Chair in Bioethics; Professor of Bioethics and Medical Humanities, and Psychiatry and Behavioral Health
What I pledge to you today is that we will move the needle... A conversation is not enough. It's time for action. It's time for change.
Joseph E. Kerschner, MD, Provost and Executive Vice President and Dean, School of Medicine | 2019 AAMC Leadership Summit
Initial Pledge Period Completed
Nearly 1,400 pledges from faculty, staff and students!
Five Pledge Themes
Participants had the opportunity to make their pledge public on MCW’s intranet; 53% of participants chose to share their pledge. The rest of the pledges were known to AWSM, but not shared.
Be a Workplace Ally – Support, Mentor and Sponsor Women
- IWill strive to become a positive role model for other women by speaking up in meetings, working on apologizing less, and acknowledging my own accomplishments.
Number of people making pledge: 271
- IWill become (or further my work as) a workplace ally.
Number of people making pledge: 117
Support all Parents – Increase Awareness of Maternal Bias
- IWill be aware of maternal bias and work to diminish it.
Number of people making pledge: 104
Mitigate Unconscious Bias – Respond to Microaggressions
- IWill learn to recognize microaggressions and adjust my approach to the people with whom I work.
Number of people making pledge: 120
Create Belonging – Support Inclusion and Affinity
- IWill show my support for all genders by attending at least one gender-related MCW event.
Number of people making pledge: 107
Creating a Sexual and Gender Harassment Free Environment – How You Can Help
IWill 2019 Findings
In the fall of 2019, we asked what each of us would do to be a force for gender equity. We exceeded our initial goal of 1,100 pledges. Additionally, an IWill MCW manuscript by Drs. Maurana, Raymond, Kerschner and Ellinas was published in 2021.
Due to the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, follow-up to the original campaign was delayed until May 2020. Of the 1400 original respondents, 781 responded to the follow up survey.
Learn more about IWill MCW.
Medical College of Wisconsin
8701 Watertown Plank Rd.
Milwaukee, WI 53226