Our Call to Action
Time alone will not bring equity. We must act to build an environment where all genders can thrive.
What I pledge to you today is that we will move the needle... A conversation is not enough. It's time for action. It's time for change.
Joseph E. Kerschner, MD, Provost and Executive Vice President and Dean, School of Medicine | 2019 AAMC Leadership Summit
IWill MCW Fall 2019 Information
Initial Pledge Period Completed
Nearly 1,400 pledges from faculty, staff and students!
Five Pledge Themes
Participants had the opportunity to make their pledge public on MCW’s intranet; 53% of participants chose to share their pledge. The rest of the pledges were known to AWSM, but not shared.
Be a Workplace Ally – Support, Mentor and Sponsor Women
- IWill strive to become a positive role model for other women by speaking up in meetings, working on apologizing less, and acknowledging my own accomplishments.
Number of people making pledge: 271
- IWill become (or further my work as) a workplace ally.
Number of people making pledge: 117
Support all Parents – Increase Awareness of Maternal Bias
- IWill be aware of maternal bias and work to diminish it.
Number of people making pledge: 104
Mitigate Unconscious Bias – Respond to Microaggressions
- IWill learn to recognize microaggressions and adjust my approach to the people with whom I work.
Number of people making pledge: 120
Create Belonging – Support Inclusion and Affinity
- IWill show my support for all genders by attending at least one gender-related MCW event.
Number of people making pledge: 107
Creating a Sexual and Gender Harassment Free Environment – How You Can Help
IWill 2019 Findings
In the fall of 2019, we asked what each of us would do to be a force for gender equity. We exceeded our initial goal of 1,100 pledges. Additionally, an IWill MCW manuscript by Drs. Maurana, Raymond, Kerschner and Ellinas was published in 2021.
Due to the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, follow-up to the original campaign was delayed until May 2020. Of the 1400 original respondents, 781 responded to the follow up survey.
Learn more about IWill MCW.
Medical College of Wisconsin
8701 Watertown Plank Rd.
Milwaukee, WI 53226