Virtual Work Guide
Review these recommendations and requirements to prepare yourself to remotely work from either an MCW-issued laptop or a personally-owned desktop or laptop. Don't forget to test your equipment in advance to ensure it works as expected.
*Information noted with an asterisk indicates InfoScope/network access is required to view the resource.
Location doesn't matter when you've got reliable online tools to help you connect and collaborate with colleagues.
Microsoft Teams (business collaboration, instant messaging, small group conferencing)
OneDrive for Business (file storage and sharing)
Webex (large group conferencing, webinars)
Zoom (large group conferencing, webinars)
These systems and services can be accessed from any internet browser without needing to log into InfoScope or Citrix.
- Email: outlook.office365.com
- Box: mcw.box.com
- eBridge: ebridge.mcw.edu
- MCW Libraries: mcw.libguides.com/working-remotely
- myTime: mytime.mcw.edu
- Office 365 Online: portal.office.com
- Qualtrics: mcwisc.qualtrics.com
- Self Service Password Reset: password.mcw.edu
- Spam Quarantine: quarantine.mcw.edu:10020
- Teams: teams.microsoft.com
- Webex: mcw.webex.com
These systems and services are only remotely available through VPN or Citrix.
- Network shared drives (G: drive, H: drive, etc)
Conferencing Guides and Tips
Recommendations and Requirements
Using your MCW-issued laptop is the best option for working remotely as these devices come preloaded with all of the necessary security software for you to effectively and safely work.
If you don't have an MCW-issued laptop, you will need to verify that your personal computer meets the minimum hardware requirements to remotely connect to MCW systems and services.
Windows Minimum Requirements
- Operating system: Windows 7 (minimum); Windows 10 (recommended)
- Processor speed: 1.6 GHz or faster
- Memory: 4 GB
- Internet connection
- Verify your Windows computer minimum requirements (PDF)
Mac Minimum Requirements
- macOS 10.14.6 (minimum)
- Internet connection
- To check your Mac computer's minimum requirements, click the Apple logo in the upper left corner and select About This Mac.
If you will be working form a personally-owned desktop or laptop, you need to ensure that the device has:
- Strong password protection (password is at least 10 characters in length consisting of upper and lower case letters, numbers, and special characters)
- Ensure your operating system is up-to-date: Windows Update | Mac
- Ensure your web browser is up-to-date: Google Chrome | Firefox | Microsoft Edge
- Antivirus software: Windows 10
- Lock your screen when you are away from the computer
- Windows: press CTRL+ALT+DEL then select Lock
- Mac: press Command+Control+Q (older versions might use Control+Shift+Power)
- Enable your screensaver and set a timeout of no more than 15 minutes.
- Do not share your username and password with anyone for use on devices that access MCW systems and services.
- Do not print any sensitive data.
- When completing your work, be sure to log out of MCW systems and services (web applications, Citrix, or VPN).
- Office 365 applications such as email, calendar, and OneDrive for Business can be accessed online at portal.office.com. From here, you can also install the Office suite to your personal computer at no charge to you. After you log in, click the Install Office button and select Office 365 apps. Run the file that's downloaded and follow the prompts.
- WebEx conferencing can be accessed from any web browser at meet.mcw.edu.
- Consider moving files from your home network drive (H:) to OneDrive for Business for easier access when remote. After you install and configure OneDrive for Business, you can drag-and-drop files into it.
- Do not save files to portable hard drives such as a USB external drive or a flash drive.
- Do not save files to the desktop of the device.
- When working in the Microsoft Office apps in Citrix, save your files to your H: drive or to OneDrive for Business. Do not use the "My Documents" folder.
- When downloading files in Citrix, save or move them to your H: drive.
You have the following options available to you for your work phone:
- [Preferred] If you have an MCW-owned computer and VPN, you can request Cisco Jabber to be installed. This app will allow you to place and receive phone calls using your computer as though you were using your work number. Contact the Service Desk for assistance.
- For shared numbers that multiple people answer, email the Service Desk for arrangements.
- For certain special situations, we can set up call forwarding to an alternate phone number. Please email the Service Desk.
The "Forward all" option that may appear on the screen of your Cisco desk phone only works to forward incoming calls to another internal phone number and does not work with external numbers.
If you have Microsoft Authenticator and/or Duo set up to verify your identity from your office phone, you will need to add additional devices.
- Manage your Microsoft Authenticator configuration
- Manage your Duo configuration (coming soon)