Advanced Practice Nurse Prescribers and Physician Assistant Preceptorships
Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin employ many Advance Practice Nurses and Physician Assistants.
Through the Medical College of Wisconsin's adult practice, Medical College Physicians (MCP) there are many placements in specialty patient care programs, with a limited number of opportunities for primary care, internal medicine and family practice. As an academic medical center, we are committed to teaching the next generation of health care practitioners, but recognize that there are a limited number of student slots available.
Following the process below does not guarantee a rotation, but it is your best opportunity for placement.
Nurse Practitioner (NP) and Physician Assistant (PA) clinical clerkships and rotations with Medical College Physician (MCP) providers must be secured through a process of a college and university student program coordinator networking with the MCP NP & PA Student Placement Coordinator. MCP respectfully requests that school placement coordinators and individual students refrain from contacting our faculty and staff to secure rotations.
For NP & PA student placements in the Adult Practice (MCP), apply now.
- Spring Semester (January through May) - Deadline September 15
- Summer Semester (June through August) - Deadline January 31
- Fall Semester (September through December) Deadline April 15
Deadlines are necessary for a fair application process selection and well be strictly followed by the Student Placement Coordinator.
Affiliation AgreementsAn affiliation agreement and program memorandum with both Froedtert Health and the Medical College of Wisconsin are required for each student clinical experience and are required prior to student placement. Please check both lists of affiliated institutions below for your institution's name.
Froedtert Health Affiliations (PDF)
Medical College of Wisconsin Affiliations (PDF)
If your institution is not listed, please direct your administration to the blank documents below. These documents should be completed by your institution's administration. They are not meant to be completed by individual instructors or students.
Froedtert Health Affiliation Agreement | Contact Jane Hendricks at (414) 805-5392 to check on the status.
MCW Affiliation Agreement (PDF) | For more information about an affiliation agreement, contact MCW Educational Experiences at (414) 955-8245.
The application process for preceptorships with MCP providers is via the link below. Be prepared to upload a CV/Resume. You will need information about your current program including contact information for your programs faculty advisor. Below are MCP Departments and Divisions where advance practice provider staff regularly offer student rotations. Your application should note which of the Departments/Divisions noted below is your first choice.
- Department of Surgery - multiple surgical subspecialties
- Division of Hematology/Oncology, Bone Marrow Transplant, Palliative Medicine, Benign Hematology
- Department of Orthopedic Surgery
- Department of Behavioral Medicine and Psychiatry
- Division of Internal Medicine Hospitalist Inpatient
- Division of Endocrinology and Molecular Medicine - Inpatient diabetes management team and outpatient diabetes care
- Division of Infectious Disease - Inpatient consult team
- *Medical ICU and *Cardiovascular ICU
(*Students must meet specific prerequisites to be considered for an intensivist rotation)
- Division of Gastrointestinal Medicine
- Division of Nephrology - inpatient consult service
- Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Department of OB/GYN
- Department of Plastic Surgery
- Department of Urology
Please send questions to APPStudentPlacement@mcw.edu.
Good luck and welcome!