Education & Program Overview
Why Choose a Fellowship Program?
APP postgraduate fellowships are an exciting opportunity to experience structured education, skill development, and mentorship on your journey through APP Transition to Practice. The fellowship program’s foundation is the APP Phased Onboarding structure to outline milestones and education. The program aligns with nationwide best practices in postgraduate APP Transition to Practice and has earned membership in the Association of Postgraduate PA Programs and the Association of Postgraduate APRN Programs.
During the program, APP fellows experience:
- Broad, complex patient experiences in an award-winning quaternary health center
- Educational foundation supported by multifaceted learning opportunities
- PA/NP learning experience in a team-based, academic medical center
- Professional mentorship
- Structured transition to practice education tailored to specialty and core professional curriculum through hands-on clinical and didactic education.
- The opportunity to explore a variety of clinical and professional experiences, and find your inspiration for your professional future.
- Protected and mentored education with stipend and MCW benefits.
- Mentorship and expansive professional network as a foundation for your professional career
- Build your confidence, clinical skills, and professional engagement to invest in your marketability.
Clinical Experience & Education
APP fellowships and NP residency have innovative 12-month curriculum composed of in-person didactics, online classrooms, simulation, proctored procedures and mentored clinical experiences.
- Broad, complex patient experiences in an award-winning quaternary academic center
- Clinical experiences with rotations in multiple specialty areas
- Inter-professional experiences, and team-based learning
- Case presentations
- Average of 45-50 clinical hours per week
- Didactic experiences in a multifaceted learning opportunities
- In person lectures
- Online learning
- Skills labs
- On average 5-10 hours per week
Core Fellowship Curriculum
- Leadership development
- Problem solving
- Evidence-based practice
- NP/PA core clinical education
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Professional mentorship
- Feedback and reviews
- Fellowship project
Self-reflection and wellness
- Cohorting and networking with other APP fellows and APPs
- Wellness curriculum
- Peer support
- Fellow assessments
- Behaviorally-based evaluations in electronic format and reporting
- Milestone-based and personal goal oriented reviews
- 1:1 clinical evaluation by preceptors
- Program Assessments
- Preceptor Assessments
- Achieve or exceed milestones
- Maintain professionalism
- Completion of fellowship requirements
- Certificate of completion awarded at graduation
FAQs for All Programs
- All fellows participate in the core curriculum, which includes didactics focused on leadership development.
- Hands-on opportunities enhance leadership development for fellows including fellowship projects, case presentations, participation in the APP Leadership Development series, and developing a multi-professional network.
- Integration into professional development and experiences as part of the MCW community.