Pediatric Rheumatology Research
The Pediatric Rheumatology section at the Medical College of Wisconsin participates in a variety of scholarly activities including clinical research, clinical therapeutic trials, quality improvement studies, basic and translational research, and educational research and teaching. We participate in multicenter, collaborative studies as members of the Pediatric Rheumatology Collaborative Study Group (PRCSG), the Childhood Arthritis and Rheumatology Research Alliance (CARRA), the Pediatric Rheumatology Care and Outcomes Improvement Network (PR-COIN), and the Subspecialty Pediatric Investigator Network (SPIN). Our faculty and fellows have been academically very productive with a consistent track record of publications and successful grant funding.
Current clinical studies include:
- An Observational Study for Pediatric Rheumatic Diseases
- Pediatric Rheumatology Care and Outcomes Improvement
- A Long-Term, Multicenter, Longitudinal Post-Marketing Observational Registry to Assess Long Term Safety and Effectiveness of Humira (adalimumab) in Children with Moderately to Severe Active Polyarticular or Polyarticular-Course Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis (JIA).
- An Observational Registry of Abatacept in Patients with Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis.
- Anxiety and Depression in JIA and its Relationship to Disease Characteristics Using PROMIS® measures
Current educational studies include:
- Longitudinal Evaluation of the Required Level of Supervision for Pediatric Fellows
- Virtual Clinic: A Digital Pediatric Rheumatology Curriculum
Current basic science and translational studies include:
- Investigation of genetic disorders of the immune system including autoinflammatory diseases, primary immunodeficiencies, and early onset autoimmune disorders
- Investigations of T cell development and maintenance of T cell tolerance
- The role of Foxp3 regulatory T cells and T cell receptor antagonism as a mechanism of peripheral tolerance
- The mechanisms of regulatory T cell-mediated suppression in models of inflammatory autoimmune disease
- Investigation of the induced regulatory T cell-TH17 cell axis
Sample of Recent Rheumatology Section Publications:
Improved disease course associated with early initiation of biologics in untreated polyarticular Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis: A trajectory analysis of the STOP-JIA study. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2021 Jun 8. doi: 10.1002/art.41892.
Constrained chromatin accessibility in PU.1-mutated agammaglobulinemia patients. J Exp Med. 2021 Jul 5;218(7):e20201750. doi: 10.1084/jem.20201750. Epub 2021 May 5. PMID: 33951726; PMCID: PMC8105723.
Rituximab and antimetabolite treatment of granulomatous and lymphocytic interstitial lung disease in common variable immunodeficiency. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2021 Feb;147(2):704-712.e17. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2020.07.021. Epub 2020 Aug 1. PMID: 32745555.
Clinical Practice Guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA), American Academy of Neurology (AAN), and American College of Rheumatology (ACR): 2020 Guidelines for the Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment of Lyme Disease. Clin Infect Dis. 2021 Jan 23;72(1):1-8. doi: 10.1093/cid/ciab049. PMID: 33483734.
Anti-Ku antibody-positive systemic sclerosis-polymyositis overlap syndrome in an adolescent. Pediatr Dermatol. 2020 Sep;37(5):960-961. doi: 10.1111/pde.14243. Epub 2020 Jun 10. PMID: 32519400.
Anti-mitochondrial autoantibodies are associated with cardiomyopathy, dysphagia, and features of more severe disease in adult-onset myositis. Clin Rheumatol. 2021 Apr 13. doi: 10.1007/s10067-021-05730-7. PMID: 33851273.
Risk factors associated with Pneumocystis jirovecii pneumonia in juvenile myositis in North America. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2021 Feb 1;60(2):829-836. doi: 10.1093/rheumatology/keaa436. PMID: 32889531; PMCID: PMC7850515.
Platelet gene therapy induces robust immune tolerance even in a primed model via peripheral clonal deletion of antigen-specific T cells. Mol Ther Nucleic Acids. 2021 Jan 5;23:719-730. doi: 10.1016/j.omtn.2020.12.026. PMID: 33575117; PMCID: PMC7851450.
Serum S100A8/A9 and S100A12 Levels in Children with Polyarticular Forms of Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis: Relationship to Maintenance of Clinically Inactive Disease During Anti-Tumor Necrosis Factor Therapy and Occurrence of Disease Flare After Discontinuation of Therapy. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2019 Mar;71(3):451-459. doi: 10.1002/art.40727. Epub 2019 Jan 24
Thymic regulatory T cells arise via two distinct developmental programs. Nat Immunol. 2019 Feb;20(2):195-205. doi: 10.1038/s41590-018-0289-6. Epub 2019 Jan 14
Platelet Gene Therapy Promotes Targeted Peripheral Tolerance by Clonal Deletion and Induction of Antigen-Specific Regulatory T Cells. Front Immunol. 2018 Sep 6; 9:1950. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2018.01950. eCollection 2018.
Persistent Facial Swelling in an 8-Year-Old. J Pediatr. 2019 Jan; 204:318-318.e1. doi: 10.1016/j.jpeds.2018.08.024. Epub 2018 Sep 28
Dominant-negative IKZF1 mutations cause a T, B, and myeloid cell combined immunodeficiency. J Clin Invest. 2018 Jul 2;128(7):3071-3087. doi: 10.1172/JCI98164. Epub 2018 Jun 11
A model of TH17-associated ileal hyperplasia that requires both IL-17A and IFNγ to generate self-tolerance and prevent colitis. Mucosal Immunol. 2018 Jul;11(4):1127-1137. doi: 10.1038/s41385-018-0023-6. Epub 2018 May 4.
A Case of Pansclerotic Morphea Treated with Tocilizumab. JAMA Dermatol. 2019 Mar 1;155(3):388-389. doi: 10.1001/jamadermatol.2018.5040
Identification of molecular signatures of cystic fibrosis disease status with plasma-based functional genomics. Physiol Genomics. 2019 Jan 1;51(1):27-41. doi: 10.1152/physiolgenomics.00109.2018. Epub 2018 Dec 12
Comparing Board Examination Scores Between Pediatric Residents in Continuity Clinics at Different Sites. WMJ. 2019 Apr;118(1):35-38.