Daniel M. Lipinski, MSc, DPhil
Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences
Assistant Professor of Cell Biology, Neurobiology and Anatomy
Ocular Gene Therapy Laboratory
OGT Bio Page
Medical College of Wisconsin Eye Institute
Email Dr. Lipinski
BSc, Biology, Imperial College London, UK
MSc, Virology, Imperial College London, UK
DPhil, Ophthalmology, University of Oxford, UK
- Recombinant adeno-associated virus (rAAV)-mediated gene therapy
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Inherited retinal disease (e.g., Retinitis pigmentosa)
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
The overarching theme of my research program is the development of broadly applicable gene-based therapeutics to preserve vision in neurodegenerative and vascular diseases affecting the retina. Toward this end, the Lipinski research group focuses on a number of key areas:
1) The development of recombinant adeno-associated virus (rAAV)-mediated gene therapies to prevent cone photoreceptor degeneration in end-stage retinitis pigmentosa.
2) Developing gene therapy approaches to target the retinal and choroidal vasculature in diabetic retinopathy and age-related macular degeneration.
3) Restoration of light sensitivity/vision in the totally degenerate retina.
Funding for this research: Department of Ophthalmology Special Endowment (PI: Lipinski DM)
Past grant support/funding: Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) Innovative Grant (2014-2015, PI: Lipinski DM); Fulbright-Fight for Sight (UK) Research Scholarship (2013-2015, PI: Lipinski DM); Fight for Sight (UK) PhD Studentship (2009-2012, PI: MacLaren RE)
Lipinski DM, Reid CA, Boye SL, Peterson JJ, Qi X, Boye SE, Boulton ME, Hauswirth WW. Systemic Vascular Transduction by Capsid Mutant Adeno-Associated Virus After Intravenous Injection. Hum Gene Ther. 2015 Nov;26(11):767-76.
Lipinski DM, Barnard AR, Singh MS, Martin C, Lee EJ, Davies WI, MacLaren RE. CNTF Gene Therapy Confers Lifelong Neuroprotection in a Mouse Model of Human Retinitis Pigmentosa. Mol Ther. 2015 Aug;23(8):1308-19.
Lipinski DM, Thake M, MacLaren RE. Clinical applications of retinal gene therapy. Prog Retin Eye Res. 2013 Jan;32:22-47.