The National Biomedical EPR Center Training Program at MCW was established to provide outside users with training in many areas of EPR spectroscopy. Lists of available equipment are provided on our EPR Center Facilities page. We are happy to assist with sample preparation and data analysis, and provide experience running our spectrometers. Past visitors to the EPR Center have used the opportunity to train on a new machine, gain experience in sample preparation, and learn about spectral simulation programs. Training in EPR technology development also is available. Visits are encouraged from individuals with all levels of EPR knowledge.
Stipends in the amount of $500 are given out to first-time visitors to help defray the cost of travel to the EPR Center.
- Please first discuss the proposed experiments with a National Biomedical EPR Center faculty.
- Submit a short, written abstract of the proposed work and the need for training at the Center to the contact below.
- After the proposal is reviewed, the investigator will be contacted to set up mutually agreeable dates for visiting the Center. Hotel accommodations will typically be made for the visitor at this point.
- At the end of the training visit, the trainee will be asked to provide a summary of the experiments carried out.
- Visitors are requested to report any publications that wholly or in part involve work carried out at the EPR Center. Any such publications should cite the Center grant number: NIH grant EB001980. In addition, authors should demonstrate compliance with the NIH Public Access policy by securing a PMCID number for each paper citing the Center’s support.
- The hotel accommodations will be booked and paid for in advance, and any of the remaining $500 stipend will be put toward other applicable travel expenses payable upfront. We can no longer reimburse travel expenses after the visit. If you are interested in visiting the EPR Center as a trainee, please email EPRCenter@mcw.edu.
New Program of Advanced Training
A new advanced training program is now being offered to experienced users who would like to come to the Center for one to three months. Stipends will be offered to cover travel and housing. During this time, the trainee will have one-on-one time with a professor and the Center engineering staff, along with dedicated instrumentation time and/or on the technique of interest to the advanced trainee. Please email EPRCenter@mcw.edu.
EPR Training Workshop
The Principles of EPR Training Workshops have been developed mainly for students and postdoctoral fellows who have no EPR experience, but would like to use EPR spectroscopy in their own research. Successful workshops were held in 2004, 2006, 2009, 2012, and 2015. For information on future workshops, please email EPRCenter@mcw.edu.