Thank you for considering MCW for your physician-scientist education! We are here to support you every step of the way on your journey.
Since admission is highly competitive, individuals are encouraged to complete their application by early fall.
Before you begin the application process, please review the MCW Medical School application requirements. Applicants should have strong academic qualifications as well as experiences that demonstrate potential for success as clinician-investigators.
The MSTP Admissions Committee looks at applicants as whole individuals, considering life experiences as well as academic achievement.
- Academic Achievement
- MCAT and GPA
- Substantive Research Experience
- Personal Statement and Essays
- Letters of Recommendation
- Professional Skills
- Commitment to Biomedical Research
- Community Service
- Personal Interview
Apply online through the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS). Select ‘Medical College of Wisconsin’ as your designated institution. Select ‘Combined MD-PhD Training’ as your preferred program.
Early submission of application materials is strongly encouraged as interview offers are made on a rolling basis.
A completed application includes the following:
- AMCAS Application - deadline November 1
- Medical School Secondary Application and fee - deadline December 2. There is not an additional application fee for the Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP)
- CASPer Exam Results
- Letters of Recommendation
MSTP accepts 3-5 letters of recommendation (or a committee composite letter) submitted through AMCAS.
- Example letter writers include previous or current research mentors, instructors, physicians or employers.
- References should come from individuals who know you well enough to comment on your research experience and future potential as an independent investigator.
- MSTP has access to letters sent by electronic submission to the MCW Medical School. Be sure there is at least one letter written by a research mentor to support your career as a physician-scientist.
- Any additional supporting MD/PhD letters that you would like to include following your upload can be sent by the faculty member, as an email attachment, to our Program. Please email to email@example.com.
It is the policy of the Medical College of Wisconsin to provide equal opportunities, consistent with applicable state and federal laws, to all qualified persons without regard to race, creed, color, sex, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, membership in the national guard, state defense force or any other component of military forces of the United States or Wisconsin, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, religion, arrest or conviction record or other pertinent legislation, judicial mandates and presidential executive orders designed to eradicate discrimination in all areas.
You are strongly advised to apply and complete your primary and secondary applications early. Applications are reviewed by the Admissions Committee on a rolling basis by date of completion, but interview slots fill up quickly.
- May 1: Primary (AMCAS) application opens
- May 30: Earliest date to submit AMCAS application
- July 1: Preferred date by which to submit AMCAS application
- August 15: Preferred date by which to submit MCW Secondary application
- November 1: AMCAS application deadline (11:59 pm CST)
- August – January: Applications are reviewed and invitations are sent out
- December 2: MCW secondary application deadline (4:00 pm CST)
- December – March: Two-day virtual interviews on Thursday and Friday. Interviews are for both the MD/PhD (MSTP) and MD. Rolling admissions decisions. A select few may be chosen early; most are offered later in the application cycle.
- April: Revisit in early April
- April 30: Deadline for all applicants to accept a single offer of MD admission to any institution
- June: First summer rotation
- July: Second summer rotation
- Early August: New student orientation and classes begin
All MCW MSTP initial interviews are virtual.
- December 3, 2020
- January 7, 2021
- February 11, 2021
- March 11, 2021
Virtual Interview Schedule
Candidates meet informally with current MSTP students and participate in interviews with a member of the MSTP admissions committee, research faculty, MSTP student, and MSTP directors.
- Morning – Meet program director, current students, program leadership and administrators
- Afternoon – Individual interviews research faculty, MSTP students, admissions committee
Admissions Offer and Second Visit
Applicants who are accepted into the MSTP are highly encouraged to attend our revisit. This visit allows new trainees to meet with members of our MSTP community and faculty members who share their research interests.
MCW MSTP welcomes all applicants to train in an inclusive environment. MCW-MSTP not only supports the NIGMS Diversity Statement where “diverse teams working together and capitalizing on innovative ideas and distinct perspectives outperform homogenous teams.”
MCW MSTP embraces trainees from diverse backgrounds and life experiences who bring different perspectives, creativity, and individual enterprise to address complex scientific problems. We believe in the benefits of a diverse scientific and medical workforce, which fosters scientific and medical innovation, contributes to robust learning environments, improves the quality of researchers and physicians, and leads to benefit of health research and patient care to enhance public trust.
Applicants to our MSTP may elect to reveal a disability and request an accommodation for the interview, please contact the MSTP Director. This is NOT required.
We welcome students who have completed their undergraduate (bachelor’s degree) education both in the United States or Canada. Citizenship status is not a consideration in admissions decisions. International students receive the same stipend, full tuition remission and health coverage as domestic students.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, but please be sure that there is at least one written by a research mentor to support your career as a physician-scientist.
Yes, we welcome students who have completed their undergraduate (bachelor’s degree) education both in the United States or Canada. Citizenship status is not a consideration in admissions decisions. International students receive the same stipend, full tuition remission and health coverage as domestic students.
The Admissions Committee will consider the two most recent eligible exams.
No, GRE scores are not required for the MCW MSTP.
There are only two choices on the MCW application, MD or PhD, please select “MD” as your program of choice. The system will automatically regard you as a MD/PhD candidate because of your AMCAS designation.
All applicants must satisfy the requirements for the medical school. You must have earned a minimum of 90 undergraduate credits, including prerequisites, at a regionally accredited college or university located in the United States (US) or Canada. The required credits must be earned prior to matriculation. No credit will be given for coursework taken outside of the US or Canada. Individual exceptions may be considered for applicants attending regionally accredited institutions located outside of the US or Canada.
The deadline is November 1. However, early submission of application materials is strongly encouraged as interview offers are made on a rolling basis.
Please visit the MCW Medical School application requirements.
MCW MSTP does not accept any students who have matriculated in a different medical institution.