There is a national shortage of physician-scientists who can care for patients and conduct state-of-the-art research. Our MD/PhD Program was established in 1983 and our mission is to support medical and research training culminating in the receipt of both an MD and a PhD degree while assisting to reduce the cost associated with your training experience. Learn More
About Our Program
- We are located in a suburb of Milwaukee, WI on a great lake and 90 minutes from Chicago.
- We currently have students from 31 different undergraduate institutions across 17 states.
- Our students have a variety of undergraduate majors including; biology, biochemistry, chemistry, biomedical engineering, math, physics, microbiology, neuroscience, genetics, biological sciences, psychology, philosophy and english
- We have a commitment to inclusion. Our students are diverse in many aspects including ethnicity, religion, outside interests and much more – we welcome diversity and all that it has to offer!
- We matriculate approximately 6 students per year and if accepted and remain in good standing, all trainees are provided a tuition scholarship, a generous stipend, along with health insurance paid for by our Program.
- We invite applicants who are US citizens as well as international applicants who have completed their undergraduate work at an accredited institution in the United States or Canada. We also welcome medical students from our M-1 class to apply.
- Our alumni are currently in successful positions at a variety of institutions across the United States including Harvard, Yale, Duke, Johns Hopkins, Vanderbilt, Emory, UCLA, Stanford, MD Anderson, Mayo Clinic, University of Washington and many more including positions on our campus at Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin, Froedtert Hospital and the Versiti Blood Research Institute.
- Our alumni choose a wide variety of specialties for their residency, fellowship and faculty positions including Medicine, Pediatrics, Radiation Oncology, Radiology, Anesthesiology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Hematology/Oncology, Endocrinology, Surgery, Neurology, Ophthalmology, Psychiatry, Dermatology, Orthopedic Surgery, Pathology and more.
Medical Scientist Training Program
Medical College of Wisconsin
8701 Watertown Plank Rd.
Milwaukee, WI 53226
MSTP Education Program Coordinator
MSTP Administrative Assistant
Director, Medical Scientist Training Program
Professor, Microbiology & Immunology
Joseph T. Barbieri, PhD