MSTP Research Opportunities
Research is a part of you as an MD-PhD applicant; science and discovery motivate and intrigue you. Our MSTP works with you to define your research options, which allows you to thrive while training at MCW.
The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) is a major national research center, in fact, the largest research institution in the Milwaukee metro area and 2nd largest in Wisconsin.
Trainees have the opportunity to select their PhD advisor from an array of successful investigators connected with our basic science departments at the MCW. These departments include:
- Cell Biology, Neurobiology and Anatomy
- Functional Imaging
- Microbiology & Immunology
- Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Public & Community Health
This variety provides our trainees with a broad assortment of potential research laboratories to choose the one that will be an ideal match to their own interests.
In addition to the basic science departments, many basic scientists have appointments in one of the several centers on campus, which focus on specific research questions pertinent to understanding human disease:
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin
- Cancer Center
- Cardiovascular Center
- Biotechnology and Bioengineering Center
- The Eye Institute
- Free Radical Research Center
- Functional Imaging Research Center
- Genomic Sciences and Precision Medicine Center
- Max McGee National Research Center for Juvenile Diabetes
- Midwest Children's Cancer Center (MACC Fund)
- National Center for Proteomics Research and Development