International Scholar Services

Welcome, स्वागत, సుస్వాగతము, Welkem, 欢迎, 歡迎, bem-vindo and Hoş Geldiniz!

The Medical College of Wisconsin's (MCW) International Scholar Services provides specialized immigration services to assist in the process of the hiring of extraordinary international faculty, scholars and staff employees at MCW.

Our Mission
The Medical College of Wisconsin’s (MCW) International Scholar Services office provides comprehensive guidance and support to incoming and currently employed international scholars, as well as MCW department leaders and hiring managers, regarding a variety of immigration issues, while also ensuring that all employees requiring work authorization are eligible to work in the United States. The International Scholar Services office facilitates and promotes collaboration, an awareness of diverse cultures, and assists with the assimilation of international scholars into the MCW community.

What work authorization types are available at MCW?
There are many work authorization types in which a foreign national can come to MCW to work or observe. The majority of MCW foreign nationals are hired in H1B or J1 visa status. The International Scholars office will work with you to determine the appropriate work authorization.

International Scholar Visa Types

If you are not looking for work opportunities at MCW and, rather, are seeking only to observe in a laboratory or clinical setting, you may be able to come to the U.S. in a visitor status, such as B-1/B-2 or under the Visa Waiver Program.  For observation opportunities, please contact an MCW department directly.


How Do I Get Started?

Currently working in the U.S.? Visit our Careers page. A transfer of your work authorization status to MCW sponsorship (see FAQ) (PDF) may be required.

International student seeking F-1 status, please visit our Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences website for more information about attending school here at MCW.

Before You Travel/Arrive in the U.S.

Open AllClose All
  Preparation/Planning to Travel to the U.S.

If you are coming from outside the U.S. and need to apply for an entry visa to enter the U.S., please ensure that if you will be working at MCW, your department has submitted the necessary paperwork to the Immigration Consultant to initiate the processing of your case. You will not be able to apply for an entry visa for work authorization without proper documentation. If you will be applying for a visitor visa for observation, you can do that independently and should not need any documentation from MCW, other than a letter of invitation from the MCW department you will be visiting.

Applying For An Entry Visa:

  Find a Place to Live - Metro-Milwaukee Housing
Home Sales
Housing and Apartment Rental Resources
  City of Milwaukee/State of Wisconsin Resources

Once You Are Here in the U.S.

Open AllClose All
  Maps and Directions for the Medical College of Wisconsin and Surrounding Areas
  Applying for a Social Security Number

You can only apply for a social security number if you are authorized to work in the U.S. Please note: If you already have a social security number, you are not required to apply again. For those who do not already have a social security number and who are authorized to work in the U.S., you should wait at least 10 days after your arrival in the U.S. before going to the Social Security Office to apply. This is because it takes around 10 days for your arrival information to transfer from Customs to the Social Security Administration database.

  Change of Address Requirement with USCIS

All non-U.S. citizens are required to report a change of address to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) within 10 days of the change. This requirement applies to all non-U.S. citizens who intend to stay in the United States for more than 30 days. This does not apply to individuals in F, M or J status. Form AR-11 may be completed and submitted electronically at the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Change of Address site.

  Tax Information
  Applying for a Driver’s License or State ID Card:
  English as a Second Language (ESL) Classes:

Contact Information

Immigration Consultant

Follow Us!

Job Application Assistance

If you are interested in applying for employment with the MCW and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply online, please contact the Employment Office at (414) 955-8245 with your needs or to schedule a time to come to the Employment Office for personal assistance. Please note that personal assistance will be scheduled as Employment Representatives are available.