MCW COVID-19 Tissue Bank Program
The MCW Tissue Bank COVID-19 Program is the newest extension of the MCW Tissue Bank and serves to support physicians and medical researchers across campus in the investigation of COVID-19. The novel coronavirus has impacted the globe, and we are committed to expanding our knowledge and doing our part to help end the pandemic. The post-COVID-19 recovery blood sample is an invaluable contribution to scientific research and the potential development of novel treatments.
Tissue Banking at MCW involves storing health information and blood or tissue samples in the MCW Tissue Bank for the purpose of medical research. Participants who choose to participate in the MCW Tissue Bank COVID-19 Program consent to the following:
- Once fully recovered from COVID-19, agreement to return to our main campus in Milwaukee to provide a one-time research only blood sample during a 15-minute appointment. The amount of blood taken will be less than two tablespoons does not pose any increased risk.
- Permission to bank any remnants of a clinical test you may have had for diagnosis. This most likely refers to your nasal swab if it has not already been disposed of.
- Permission to securely access and use some of your electronic health information to provide research teams linked to your samples.
- Over 18 years of age
- History of a positive COVID-19 diagnostic test (within the past 8 weeks preferred)
- A patient of Froedtert and the Medical College of Wisconsin
- The ability to speak and read English (consent form is only available in English currently)
- (414) 805-4842
COVID-19 Tissue Bank Program Consent
Please click on the arrow to watch a seven-minute video to learn more about the COVID-19 Tissue Bank Program. It is a summary of the COVID-19 Tissue Bank Program consent form and participation information. It includes the purpose of the program, risks, benefits, and confidentiality. Your participation is completely voluntary.
Frequently Asked Questions
Since the MCW Tissue Bank supports numerous different researchers, we unfortunately cannot provide participants with information regarding specific studies their samples may help to support. However, rest assured that all research conducted at Froedtert and the Medical College must be approved by our Institutional Review Board (IRB).
The IRB is a committee of doctors, researchers, and members of the community who are responsible for protecting the rights, welfare, and privacy of all individuals who participate in research sponsored by The Medical College of Wisconsin as well as Froedtert Hospital. The IRB reviews studies involving human subjects to ensure safety, compliance with laws and regulations, scientific quality, and ethical standards. Specimens donated to the MCW Tissue Bank cannot be used for research without the permission of the IRB.
There is no direct benefit to you other than the satisfaction of helping to advance knowledge. You will not be paid for your specimens nor receive any payment from patents or products that result from the research.
Once fully recovered, participants may return to the Froedtert & Medical College of Wisconsin campus any time preferably between 3-8 weeks after a positive COVID-19 test for their research draw. Appointments are 15 minutes in length and can be scheduled Monday-Thursday from 7:30 am to 4:00 pm or Friday from 7:30 am to 1:00 pm.
Unfortunately, at this point in time we are only able to schedule COVID-19 research blood draws at our main campus in Milwaukee. All lab draws will take place in the ATRU (Adult Translational Research Unit), located within the Pavilion building of Froedtert Hospital.