Dr. Michael McCrea Receives 2022 Sports Neuropsychology Society Distinguished Career Award
Milwaukee, April 28, 2022 – The Sports Neuropsychology Society (SNS) announced Michael McCrea, PhD, ABPP as recipient of this year’s Distinguished Career Award. This award is the society’s highest honor and is granted on an annual basis to an SNS professional member in good standing who has made an exemplary contribution to SNS and/or the field of sports neuropsychology over the course of their career. Dr. McCrea was chosen based on his exemplary career of service to the field and his evidence-based research in sports related concussion.
Dr. McCrea is Tenured Professor of Neurosurgery and Director of Brain Injury Research at the Medical College of Wisconsin, and a research neuropsychologist at the Clement Zablocki VA Medical Center in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He is ABCN board-certified in clinical neuropsychology and is the past President of the American Academy of Clinical Neuropsychology (AACN). His important contributions include:
- His ground-breaking research has changed the face of sports neuropsychology, and he has led several large, multi-center studies on acute and long-term effects of sport-related concussion (e.g., the NCAA-DOD CARE Consortium, TRACK-TBI and TBI Endpoint Development, NFL-LONG).
- His pioneering work includes creating the Sideline Assessment of Concussion (SAC) in the late 1990’s which fundamentally shifted our approach to sports concussion. His ongoing work involving multimodal biomarker utilization to aid in the diagnosis and management of sport-related to concussion will continue to lead evolution in our field.
- Dr. McCrea sits on the editorial board of seven journals and has contributed as an editorial consultant for twenty different journals. He has been a consultant to numerous national and international committees.
- Dr. McCrea authored the book Mild Traumatic Brain Injury and Postconcussion Syndrome: the New Evidence Base for Diagnosis and Treatment.
- He has been the neuropsychology consultant to the Green Bay Packers since 2013, providing baseline and return to play assessment, as well as sideline care.
- Dr. McCrea has served as a member of several international expert panels (including the International Consensus Conference on Sport Concussion), President of the American Academy of Clinical Neuropsychology, President of APA Division 40 (Society for Clinical Neuropsychology) among other distinguished positions.
Keep up with the latest news. Sign up for Newsroom Alerts.
Latest press releases, stories and resources.