At the Medical College of Wisconsin, academic medicine is at the core of everything we do. Scientists, clinicians, students and community members collaborate to solve challenges in health and society. The four pillars of the MCW mission are: Education, Research, Patient Care and Community Engagement.
MCW faculty members teach and mentor to help advance students’ careers and pass along the latest knowledge to tomorrow’s practitioners.
- Around 1,400 medical, graduate and pharmacy school students are enrolled at MCW’s campuses in Milwaukee, Green Bay and Wausau.
- MCW recently established our regional campuses in Green Bay and Wausau to meet the rural physician shortage and prepare doctors to practice where they are needed most.
- Approximately half of Wisconsin’s practicing physicians graduated from MCW or trained at our affiliated hospitals.
- MCW is the tenth largest medical school in the nation.
MCW research drives new knowledge that changes how we define, diagnose, treat and prevent disease, as well as how we train the next generation of healthcare providers.
- MCW is the largest research institution in the Milwaukee metro area and second largest in Wisconsin.
- $1.4 billion in research funding over the last 10 years
- MCW faculty direct and collaborate on thousands of leading-edge studies, including clinical trials, laboratory research and community-engaged research, annually.
- MCW is in the top third of all U.S. medical schools in National Institutes of Health research funding
- Tradition of pioneering medical and scientific “firsts”
MCW physicians and practitioners rewrite the stories of patients and families with the latest treatment options, cutting-edge clinical trials and collaborative, team-based care.
- At Froedtert Hospital, Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin, the Zablocki VA Medical Center and affiliated clinics, MCW physicians make up the largest multi-specialty practice in Wisconsin
- 2.6 million patient visits each year
- More than 1,650 physicians and more than 600 advanced practice care providers
- MCW practicing physicians account for 45 percent of Wisconsin doctors listed in Best Doctors in America ®
- Froedtert & MCW is ranked third for quality among the nation’s top-performing academic medical centers
- Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin is ranked among the nation’s best by US News & World Report
- Zablocki VA Medical Center is ranked among the top VA hospitals in the US for patient experience and access
Our teams work in collaboration with hundreds of organizations to engage community members and address the most pressing issues affecting health in Wisconsin and beyond.
- 380 faculty members work with 630 community partners
- 37 programs engage youth and adults in STEM