At the Medical College of Wisconsin, academic medicine is at the core of everything we do. Scientists, clinicians, students and community members collaborate to solve challenges in health and society. The four pillars of the MCW mission are: Education, Research, Patient Care and Community Engagement.
MCW faculty members teach and mentor to help advance students’ careers and pass along the latest knowledge to tomorrow’s practitioners.
- Around 1,540 medical, graduate and pharmacy school students are enrolled at MCW’s campuses in Milwaukee, Green Bay and Wausau.
- MCW established our regional campuses in Green Bay and Wausau to meet the rural physician shortage and prepare doctors to practice where they are needed most.
- Approximately half of Wisconsin’s practicing physicians graduated from MCW or trained at our affiliated hospitals.
- MCW is the third largest private medical school in the nation.
MCW research drives new knowledge that changes how we define, diagnose, treat and prevent disease, as well as how we train the next generation of healthcare providers.
- MCW is the largest private research institution in Wisconsin.
- $1.64 billion in research funding over the last 10 years
- MCW faculty direct and collaborate on thousands of leading-edge studies, including clinical trials, laboratory research and community-engaged research, annually.
- MCW is the in the top third of the nation in National Institutes of Health research funding.
- Tradition of pioneering medical and scientific “firsts”
MCW physicians and practitioners rewrite the stories of patients and families with the latest treatment options, cutting-edge clinical trials and collaborative, team-based care.
- At Froedtert Hospital, Children’s Wisconsin, the Zablocki VA Medical Center and affiliated clinics, MCW physicians make up the largest multi-specialty practice in Wisconsin.
- 3.3 million patient visits each year
- More than 1,730 physicians and more than 840 advanced practice care providers
- Froedtert & MCW is ranked third for quality among the nation’s top-performing academic medical centers.
- Children’s Wisconsin is ranked among the nation’s best by US News & World Report.
- Zablocki VA Medical Center is ranked among the top VA hospitals in the US for patient experience and access.
Our teams work in collaboration with hundreds of organizations to engage community members and address the most pressing issues affecting health in Wisconsin and beyond.
- 1,281 faculty members work with 900 community partners
- 37 programs engage youth and adults in STEM