Obtaining Approvals

In many cases, a research project will require some sort of regulatory approval before it can get started. Depending on the type of project and materials used, researchers can plan for the necessary regulations using these FAQ-style guides.

Detailed steps needed to obtain specific approvals are documented on our process maps on the Master List of all Processes & Guides (PDF) available on our Research Concierge website.

Using eBridge

eBridge is a web-based software application used for review and processing of approvals for human, animal, and safety protocols and applications for funding.

Human Subjects

All human subject research activities must be submitted for review and approval by the Institutional Review Board (IRB).


All animal research activities must be approved by the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC).


Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) approval is necessary prior to initiating work involving biologics or biohazards.


The Hazardous Chemical Committee reviews work with select carcinogens, teratogens, mutagens, acutely toxic chemicals, and other hazardous chemicals.

Controlled Substances

Acquisition, use, storage, and disposal of controlled substances must conform to Federal and State laws.


MRI Safety Committee approval is required if proposed research involves the use of MRI which is not a standard of care.


MCW is licensed by the State of Wisconsin for radioactive materials for clinical and research applications.