iLab Core Management Software
The iLab system allows researchers to order, track, and pay for core services in a convenient, one-stop location.
The Office of Research and Finance departments are pleased to provide iLab Core Management Software here at MCW. Users can log in to iLab using their MCW credentials to place orders and schedule services. A unique integration with Oracle will allow users to select designated grant and general ledger accounting information at the time of ordering. Additionally, core customers will have centralized access to all existing and historical requests across all iLab-implemented cores. User accounting permissions and invoice approvals will be managed by department administration.
For inquiries, contact iLab@mcw.edu.
iLab can be accessed centrally at the iLab Login website, or at the core links below.
MCW Cores Now Live in iLab:
- Biostatistics Consulting Service
- CRI Imaging Core
- CVC Core
- Cancer Center Biomedical Imaging Shared Resource
- Cancer Center Redox and Bioenergetics Shared Resource (CCRBSR)
- Center for Biomedical Mass Spectrometry Research
- Center for Imaging Research
- CRI & Cancer Center Flow Cytometry Shared Resource
- CRI Histology Core
- Echocardiography Core
- Genomic Sciences & Precision Medicine Center
- Liquid Nitrogen Recharge Center
- MCW Libraries Poster Printing
- MCW Tissue Bank
- NRC Microscopy Core
- NRC Rodent Behavior Core
- Physiology Biochemical Analytical Laboratory
- Qualitative Research Consulting Service Core
Training & Help:
iLab Help Website: Learn the basics of iLab on the Agilent iLab Help Site.
Contact iLab@mcw.edu for assistance with training, department or core member onboarding/offboarding, help with accessing iLab, or questions about using iLab.
MCW - iLab Help Guides:
- External Registration Instructions for non-MCW Employees (PDF)
- Navigating Payment Accounts for Financial Contacts (PDF)
- Reviewing and Approving Invoices for Financial Contacts (PDF)
- Uploading General Ledger Accounts from Oracle for Financial Contacts (PDF)
- Billing Event Processing for Cores (PDF)
- Poster Printing for MCW Employees (paying with a project/departmental account or cash/check) (PDF)
- Poster Printing Requests for non-MCW Employees (paying with cash/check) (PDF)
Frequently Asked Questions
All internal MCW users, that is, anyone who has an MCW employee ID, should access iLab from the credentialing portal. This link can be bookmarked, or it is easily accessed from the InfoScope Jump Start menu.
Internal Investigators, that is, any faculty member with an active Oracle project account, will have an iLab account automatically created for them. Internal Investigators can simply login at the above link with their MCW credentials.
Internal End Users logging into iLab for the first time can follow these simple instructions to set up their account:
- Navigate to iLab website.
- Select "Sign in using MCW credentials"
- Enter your MCW credentials at the OneLogin screen
- Select your PI from the drop-down list and enter your phone number
- Submit the completed registration form, which will notify the PI of your lab membership request
- Once the PI has approved your request, you can begin logging into iLab using your MCW credentials to request services and schedule equipment
Registration is a one-time process. After your registration has been approved, you should always access iLab from the MCW link and always log in with your MCW credentials.
All external users, that is, anyone who does not have an MCW employee ID, should access iLab from the public iLab site.
External users could include MCW students, residents, clinical fellows, and staff from affiliate institutions such as the Versiti Blood Center of Wisconsin, Children's Wisconsin, Froedtert Health, or the VA. It also includes non-MCW academic institutions or private organizations. External users can either bookmark this link, or can use a search engine such as Google or Bing to find "iLab Login."
External End Users logging into iLab for the first time can follow the External User Registration Instructions (PDF) to set up their account. Note that even external users must request a lab to belong to.
Registration is a one-time process. After your registration has been approved, you should always access iLab from the public link and remember your username and password.
All internal MCW users, that is, any customer who has an MCW employee ID, will be required to provide payment information at the time they submit a service request or reservation. At the end of each request is a section for entering payment information. From here, you will have a drop down list of all accounts you have access to. Simply select the payment account, and click "Submit."
- Project (grant) accounts are uploaded automatically from Oracle on a nightly basis. Project accounts are automatically assigned to the lab of the PI who owns the grant in Oracle.
- General ledger accounts (funding strings) must be entered in Oracle by a departmental contact to flow to iLab in the nightly file. GL accounts must then be assigned to a lab.
Any accounts assigned to a lab will appear in the Projects or General Ledger Accounts tab. From here, a department contact, PI, or lab financial contact can assign an account to an End User. All accounts assigned to an End User will appear in their drop-down list when asked to provide payment information at the end of their request. Depending on lab and department level settings, the request may need to be approved by a department contact, PI, or lab financial contact.
For more information, review Membership Requests & Fund Numbers on the iLab Help site.
Once a service is complete, the core will generate an invoice within iLab. By default, the invoice will list the account selected at the time the request was made. A department contact, PI, or lab financial contact can edit the payment account. Assuming no edits are made and the account is still valid, the invoice will be automatically approved 30 days after the core has sent the invoice.
External Users are to enter a check number, PO number, or other reference number before they can submit a service request or reservation.
Once a service is complete, the core will generate an invoice that is sent digitally from iLab to the respective financial contact for that user. External Users should submit payment to the core.
iLab has several different roles and access points.
End Users are core customers and are generally the individuals making service requests or scheduling core resources on behalf of an investigator/lab.
PI, Lab, or Group is a name for the lab and all of the staff that roll into it. At a minimum, a lab must have a PI. For more information, review Overview of Managing a Group on the iLab Help Site.
- When an End User registers, they must request a lab to belong to. PIs can approve these requests, or they can add registered users to their lab.
- By default, the PI is the lab manager and financial point of contact for their lab.
- A PI can delegate one or more members of their lab as the lab manager to approve membership and service requests.
- A PI can delegate one or more members of their lab as the financial contact to assign accounts and review and approve invoices.
Department Financial Contacts can oversee the labs in their department, assign accounts to a lab, approve invoices, and run reports. It is recommended that any Department Financial Contacts participate in a brief iLab walk-through with the Office of Research to understand their role and the pages they have access to.
For more information, review Key iLab Terms on the iLab Help Site.
The primary iLab navigation can be accessed by clicking the 3-bar blue and white icon that always appears in the upper left corner.
Home: The iLab home screen will display recently accessed cores, recently requested services, and recently scheduled equipment/services. For more information, review Using Your Homepage on the iLab Help Site.
Core Facilities: Clicking on Core Facilities will open a list of all active MCW cores. One or more options will be listed to jump to a centralized view of all requests, all reservations, or all invoices for which you have access.
Reporting: Allows you to run reports for any data you have access to.
Manage Groups: Depending on your role, you may have access to manage a lab, department, or core.
At any time, you can search for a core using the static search bar at the top of the screen.
Once you are registered an logged in, you can access a core by either searching for the core by name in the iLab search bar, navigating to "Core Facilities" from the main menu and selecting the desired core, or clicking the link directly from the Core Directory.
The core landing page contains a series of tabs from which you can place new requests or review old ones.
About Our Core: Overview of core offerings and contact information.
Schedule Equipment: Make reservations for core equipment & resources.
Request Services: Request support, services, or goods from the core.
View My Requests: View all of your requests with the core and current statuses.
For more information, review Overview of Using a Core on the iLab Help Site.