Federal Funding Opportunities
Browse current RFAs from the National Institutes of Health and Department of Defense.
About the NIH Loan Repayment Program
The NIH offers Loan Repayment Programs (LRPs) which may pay up to $35,000 of your qualified student loan debt per year for individuals conducting research in one of five programs: Clinical Research, Pediatric Research, Health Disparities Research, Contraception and Infertility Research, Clinical Research for Individuals from Disadvantaged Backgrounds.
- You must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or permanent resident of the U.S.
- You must have a health professional doctoral degree (MD, PhD, PharmD, PsyD, DO, DDS, DMD, DPM, DC, ND, OD, DVM, or equivalent doctoral degree) from an accredited institution
- You must have total qualified educational debt equal to or in excess of 20 percent of your institutional base salary at the time of award
- You must engage in qualified research that represents 50 percent of your level of effort.
- For complete details on eligibility, please review NIH Division of Loan Repayment Eligibility of Individuals
Assistance & Resources
- LRP Application Guide – Prepare to complete an LRP application by getting started with this guide. The extramural LRP application cycle is open September 1–November 15, and starting your preparations as early as possible can help you avoid being rushed as the deadline approaches.
- Tips for Completing a Competitive LRP Application (PDF) – A helpful guide on writing a competitive LRP application.
- LRP Liaisons for NIH Institutes and Centers – An information and contact list that will help you better understand what each IC is looking for in the LRP applications it reviews.
- NIH Loan Repayment Program Contract (PDF) – Download and review the contract you will be asked to sign as an LRP participant
Please direct inquiries to David Evans, (414) 955-8578, in the Office of Faculty Affairs.