STS/OEI Junior Faculty Travel Award
Applications for the 2019-2020 year
Monday, Nov. 25, 2019
Deadline for Using Funds
Thursday, Dec. 31, 2020
Notification of Award Date
Friday, Dec. 13, 2019
The Faculty Conference Travel Award supports full-time or full professional effort junior faculty attending a professional conference on a topic/emphasis related to education. Applications for funding are reviewed by a committee selected by the Office of Educational Improvement (OEI) and the Society for Teaching Scholars. A total of two faculty members will receive travel awards annually. Each recipient is eligible to receive up to $1,000.
- Full-time or full-professional effort MCW faculty at the level of Instructor or Assistant Professor who teach in the medical school’s medical education (MD) program are eligible to apply. Visiting faculty, temporary faculty, volunteer faculty, part-time faculty, lecturers, faculty from non-MD programs, and members of Academic Affairs and its divisions are not eligible.
- Prior recipients must wait three academic years before applying again (e.g., AY-2017 recipients can apply again AY-2020).
Terms of Award
- Each applicant is eligible for one award every third academic year (July 1 to June 30).
- The award will not exceed $1,000.
- Once awarded, funds must be used by the end of the calendar year (December 31, 2020).
- If awarded, funding must be used for conference registration, travel, food, and/or lodging.
- Funding may be used only for a single conference. Additional costs to attend other conferences/meetings on the same trip are the responsibility of the faculty.
- Funding is subject to the Medical College of Wisconsin travel policy, e.g., receipts are required for all expenses (air, lodging and meals, ground transportation, and registration fees). It is the responsibility of the faculty member to familiarize themselves with all policies.
- Award recipients must present on a key topic from the conference they attended at the next MCW Innovations in Healthcare Education Research Conference, typically held in April of each academic year.
Required Documents (Incorrectly prepared applications will not be considered.)
- Complete the online application.
- Secure a letter of support from your department chair. The letter is required at the time of application. The letter should be sent to Kerrie Quirk, Office of Educational Improvement/Academic Affairs, MEB 3rd floor or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applicant’s adherence to application guidelines.
- The applicability of the conference relative to your educational goals. Proposed conferences may be at the regional, national, or international level.
- Applicant’s proposal to apply conference materials to enhance/improve their work as an MCW educator.
- Appropriateness of the requested budget.
- Overall quality of the application.
- Travel award recipients will be notified by the Office of Educational Improvement by Friday, Dec. 13, 2019. Funds must be used by Thursday, Dec. 31, 2020. Failure to use funds by established deadline will result in forfeiture of the award.
- Expenditures must follow MCW policies and procedures.
- Attach a copy of the application and the award notice to the travel request (prepared in accordance with MCW Guidelines).
- Upon return, prepare the travel paperwork within 30 days following MCW guidelines. Have your fiscal office submit a fully signed copy to Kelly Reinke in the Office of Educational Improvement (OEI), Academic Affairs, MEB 3rd Floor.
- A completed Travel Award Final Report must be submitted with travel paperwork.
Please inform the Office of Educational Improvement if you decide to decline or return the award so that funds may be awarded to other faculty applicants.