These resources are intended to aid in writing papers for coursework. For additional information, click the Presenter's Notes icon in the top, left corner of select slides.
Writing 101 (PDF)
- Describes the purpose of the writing tutorial, provides grammar resources, highlights tips and links regarding spelling errors, and emphasizes the importance of preventing plagiarism and following the MPH Student Code of Ethics.
The Pre-Writing Stage (PDF)
- Explains the initial steps of writing as well as how to create a timeline and outline.
- Describes various referencing systems and provides a detailed explanation of each component of a paper: title page, abstract, introduction, purpose statement, literature review, methods, results, discussion, conclusion, references, and appendices.
- Provides tips for developing engaging presentations with an emphasis on KISS, consistency, content, and resources.
- Brightspace is the college-wide learning management system that allows for students and faculty to connect online.
- Graduate School's Academic Calendar
- Matthews Medical Books and Supplies.
- MCW connect is an online system used by students to register for courses, view their academic records, and update their contact information.
- If you forget your login or password or if you have trouble accessing the system, contact MCWconnect_support@mcw.edu.
- Students in the MPH program have access to strong existing public health holdings that are housed in the libraries as well as in other resource centers on campus. In addition, students may use UWM’s library (through the Cooperative Access Program) and all libraries affiliated with the University of Wisconsin System.
- *Students may remotely access library resources, including thousands of online journals. Contact the MCW Libraries for more information.
- All public health students are required to utilize their MCW email account and may not forward their email to an outside account.
- If you forget your username or password, contact the Information Services Help Desk at (414) 955-4357.
National Public Health Organizations
- American Public Health Association (APHA): Oldest, largest and most diverse organization of public health professionals in the world.
- Association for Prevention Teaching and Research (APTR): The professional organization for the academic medical and public health community dedicated to prevention research and interprofessional education.
- Association of Schools and Programs of Public Health (ASPPH): National organization representing accredited schools of public health.
- Association of State and Territorial Health Officials (ASTHO): National organization representing state and territorial health officials.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): Your online source for credible health information.
- Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH): Independent agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education to accredit public health programs.
- National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO): National organization representing local health departments.
- National Board of Public Health Examiners (NBPHE): Independent organization that ensures students and graduates from public health programs accredited by CEPH have mastered the appropriate knowledge and skills.
- National Institutes of Health (NIH): One of the world's foremost medical research centers.
- National Public Health Information Coalition (NPHIC): Independent organization of professionals sought after to improve America's health through public health communications.
- Public Health Foundation E-News: Information on how you can use performance management, quality improvement, and workforce development to improve the quality and performance of your organization and the health of your community
- Public Health Institute (PHI): Independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting health, well-being and quality of life for people across the nation and around the world.
- Rural Health Information Hub: Health and Human Services information for rural America.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS): U.S. government's principle agency for protecting the health of all Americans.
Wisconsin Public Health Organizations
- Advancing a Healthier Wisconsin (AHW): Endowment of the Medical College of Wisconsin committed to improving the health of Wisconsin residents.
- Department of Workforce Development: Created by Department of Workforce Development to identify and help implement top-priority, immediate and longer-term strategies for addressing the health care worker shortages in Wisconsin.
- Healthy Wisconsin People: Dedicated to providing reliable health information for the residents of Wisconsin.
- Rural Wisconsin Health Cooperative: Owned and operated by thirty-five, rural acute, general medical-surgical hospitals; emphasizes developing an integrated network among freestanding entities.
- Wisconsin Area Health Education Center (AHEC) System: Dedicated to improving access to quality health care through development of community-based health professions training programs and enhancement of community health education resources throughout Wisconsin.
- Wisconsin Association of Local Health Departments and Boards (WALHDAB): State-wide organization of board of health members and administrators providing a unified forum for public health, leadership development, advocacy, education, and forging of local community partnerships for the improvement of public health.
- Wisconsin Department of Health Services: Protects and promotes the health and safety of the people of Wisconsin. This site also has Public Health Statistics for Wisconsin.
- Wisconsin Division of Public Health (DPH): Responsible for providing public health services and environmental and public health regulation in the state.
- Wisconsin Public Health Association (WPHA): Dedicated to promoting sound public health policy and providing public health education for its members and the people of Wisconsin.
- Wisconsin State Laboratory of Hygiene: Provides clinical, environmental (including water), and industrial hygiene analytical services, specialized public health procedures, reference testing, training, technical assistance and consultation for private and public health agencies.
Organizations Posting Job Openings
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
- Association of Schools and Programs of Public Health
- Association of State and Territorial Health Officials
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention
- Epidemic Intelligence Service
- Food and Drug Administration
- Global Health Council
- Management Services for Health
- National Academies
- National Association of County and City Health Officials
- National Institutes of Health
- Pan American Health Organization
- Public Health Foundation
- United Nations
- World Health Organization
Job Search Engines
- Association of State and Territorial Health Officials Job Bank includes public health jobs all over the country including vacant health official positions.
- U.S.'s largest online job site.
- Posts academic position announcements in History and the Humanities, the Social Sciences, and Rhetoric and Composition.
- Database on non-profit organizations in the U.S. and internationally.
- Leading global online careers property.
- Public Health job bank from Emory University's Rollins School of Public Health
- Free public health employment resource provided by the Association of Schools of Public Health Employment Council.
- Official job site of the United States Federal Government.