President's Diversity and Inclusion Award
The Medical College of Wisconsin's President's Diversity and Inclusion Award recognizes the accomplishments of faculty, staff, trainees, and community members in contributing to diversity and inclusion through exemplary leadership. Recipients should demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion through recruitment and retention efforts, teaching, research, multi-cultural programming, cultural competency, community outreach activities, or other initiatives.
The 2018 President’s Diversity and Inclusion Award will be held on Thursday, March 21, 2019 at noon in the HRC Auditorium as part of the Spring Festival of Cultures Cultural Connection event. Celebrate the richness of Milwaukee art by local photographers and congratulate the President’s Diversity and Inclusion Award recipients. Enjoy local talent in what will be an authentic and entertaining event experience.
Alternating each year nominees should be current MCW students, residents, staff members or faculty and community members who demonstrate an outstanding commitment to MCW.
Applications will be reviewed based on the following criteria:
- Demonstration of emerging or sustained commitment to the values of diversity, inclusion, and multiculturalism by documented efforts that are above and beyond the routine expectations of a job or project.
- Evidence of exceptional efforts to promote an environment that is free from bias and discrimination.
- Substantiation of the contribution that the individual has made towards advancing diversity and inclusion.
Success in leading and enhancing diversity and inclusion efforts can be demonstrated in many ways. Nominations should be based on demonstrated leadership in one or more of the following areas:
- Activities to recruit, retain, and professionally develop individuals who increase the diversity of MCW faculty or staff.
- Activities to attract or recruit students who increase the diversity of MCW or to help ensure the success of those students.
- Activities to create leadership teams and organizations that promote a diverse and inclusive culture.
- Sponsorship or active promotion of programs, initiatives, or projects in the area of diversity and inclusion.
- Collaboration with campus or community groups in the creation, sponsorship, and implementation of programs, initiatives, or projects in the area of diversity and inclusion.
- Andrew Petroll, MD, Associate Professor, Medicine and Psychiatry
- B. Ulysses Li, MD, Professor, Pediatric Gastroenterology
- Geneva Johnson
- Sebastian Ssempijja, PhD, CEO and Clinic Director, Sebastian Family Psychology Practice, LLC.
- Jean Mallet, MBA, Program Manager, Office of Student Affairs and Diversity
- Brittany Mays, M4 student
- Staci Young, PhD, Associate Professor, Family Medicine
- Militza Bonet-Vazquez, Health Research Coordinator, United Community Center (UCC)
- Al Castro, Program Director, UCC
- Ashley Hines, Program Coordinator
- Justin La, Shanta Shepherd and Roseanna Raphael, MD Alumni c/o 2016
- J. Frank Wilson, MD, Chair & the Bernard & Miriam Peck Family Professor of Radiation Oncology
- Paula Penebaker, President and CEO, YWCA
- Martha Barry, Racial Justice Director, YWCA
- Regina Cole, Clinical Research Coordinator
- Kweku Grant-Acquah, Resident
- Earnestine Willis, MD, MPH, Kellner Professor of Pediatrics; Director, Center for the Advancement of Underserved Children; and Director, Health Equity and Urban Clinical Care Partnerships
- Mikel Holt, Milwaukee Community Journal