Research Bench Lab

About MCW

History Timeline

See how our pioneering spirit, collaboration, and impactful partnerships helped shape our community and the people we serve.

all
1893-94

Wisconsin's first two medical schools are founded.

A. Hamilton Levings, MD
(A. Hamilton Levings, MD, was a founder of Wisconsin College of Physicians and Surgeons and served as its president for 20 years.)

1913

Three women are among the first graduating class of the Marquette University School of Medicine.

Three women are among the first graduating class of the Marquette University School of Medicine.

 

Wisconsin College of Physicians and Surgeons merges with Milwaukee Medical College to become Marquette University School of Medicine.

Louis F. Jermain, MD
(Louis F. Jermain, MD, first dean of the Marquette University School of Medicine.)

1925

The Marquette University School of Medicine Alumni Association is formed.

1932

The medical school moves to the Harriet L. Cramer Building on the Marquette campus.

Harriet L. Cramer Building on the Marquette campus

1936

The Marquette Medical Review (the nation's first medical student-edited medical journal) is established.

Marquette Medical Review, 1936

1946

The medical school affiliates with Milwaukee VA Hospital.

Milwaukee VA Hospital, 1946

1951

A Postgraduate Studies Program (now Continuing Medical Education) is created to provide ongoing education to community physicians.

1952-75

Vision for an academic medical center becomes a reality

Early model of MRMC campus, 1952-75

1967

The medical school is separated from Marquette; becomes private, freestanding institution

1970

Renamed as the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW)

Wauwatosa Times, October 1970

1967-74

Government and community support for MCW and the academic medical center:

  • Heil Commission Report
  • Governor's Commission on Medical Education
  • Carley Commission Report

Government and community support for academic medical center, October 31, 1969

1978

MCW relocated to the Milwaukee Regional Medical Center (MRMC) campus

Milwaukee Regional Medical Campus, 1978

1979

The Medical College of Wisconsin Affiliated Hospitals (MCWAH) is created to oversee hospitals' residency training programs.

1980

Froedtert Hospital opens on the MRMC campus

Froedtert Hospital, MRMC campus, 1980

1983

MCW Research Foundation (now Office of Technology Development) is created to spur technology transfer in Southeastern Wisconsin.

MCW Research Foundation created, 1983

1988

Children's Hospital of Wisconsin is relocated to the MRMC campus.

1989

The Alumni Association's name is changed to the Medical College of Wisconsin – Marquette Medical Alumni Association.

1995

Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences established

MCW Graduate School established, 1995

1999

MCW receives transformational Blue Cross and Blue Shield United of Wisconsin conversion funds; Advancing a Healthier Wisconsin Endowment is created.

2010

MCW receives NIH award to create the Clinical and Translational Science Institute of Southeast Wisconsin.

MCW receives NIH award to create the CTSI, 2010

2012

MCW School of Medicine initiates Discovery Curriculum, creating earlier clinical integration and scholarly pathways.

MCW School of Medicine initiates Discovery Curriculum, 2012

2015

School of Pharmacy established

MCW School of Pharmacy established, 2015

 

MCW receives Community Engagement Classification from the Carnegie Foundation (one of only four medical schools in US)

Research poster presentation, 2015

2015-16

New medical school campuses open in Green Bay and Central Wisconsin

MCW-Green Bay inaugural class, 2015

2017

First class of Pharmacy students matriculates

MCW School of Pharmacy White Coat Ceremony, 2017

 

$37.8M gift from Kern Family and Kern Family Foundation creates Kern Institute for the Transformation of Medical Education and National Transformation Network.

Kern Institute for the Transformation of Medical Education, 2017

2018

MCW celebrates 125 years.