Forensic Pathology Fellowship
The Milwaukee County Medical Examiner’s Office offers the Forensic Pathology Fellowship in conjunction with the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW).
The Milwaukee County Medical Examiner’s Office investigates approximately 6,000 deaths per year and performs approximately 1,200 autopsies for Milwaukee, Jefferson, Kenosha, Racine, and Ozaukee Counties. The office is located downtown, close to the courthouse.
This ACGME-accredited fellowship program provides one year of in-depth training in forensic pathology. The forensic pathology fellow conducts a substantial number of medicolegal autopsies on routine and unusual cases, and is given substantial control of cases (natural, accidental, suicidal, and homicidal) at all levels, commensurate with their increasing ability.
Training during the year includes rotations in toxicology, forensic anthropology, forensic odontology, and the laboratories of the Milwaukee branch of the Wisconsin State Crime Laboratory. The trainee is afforded opportunity to testify in court and is encouraged to witness testimony by others who are experienced in courtroom dialogue.
In our office, consultations are presented to the senior pathologists for review and advice. The fellow is allowed to actively participate in these interesting consultations. In addition, the fellow will be involved in didactic teaching and should be a participant in the annual Medicolegal Death Investigation seminar conducted for investigators and law enforcement personnel. The trainee is strongly encouraged to participate in research.
- Applicants must have completed training in either anatomic pathology or combined clinical and anatomic pathology in an ACGME-accredited residency program by the beginning of the fellowship year
- Complete the application form
- Curriculum Vitae
- “Personal Statement” highlighting your future plans and any specific interests within Pathology you might wish to pursue during your fellowship
- Minimum three letters of recommendation
- Medical school transcript
Wieslawa Tlomak, MD
933 W. Highland Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 53233