MCW Strategic Direction
In 2010, shortly following the appointments of John R. Raymond, Sr., MD, President and CEO and Joseph E. Kerschner, MD, Executive Vice President and Dean, School of Medicine, a strategic process commenced at the Medical College of Wisconsin to reflect the dynamic environment of academic medicine.
To be both responsive to healthcare market changes and nimble enough to seize opportunity, MCW engages in a planning process that rapidly and rigorously assesses newly proposed strategic initiatives. Then, annually, we update our rolling five-year forecast to reflect revisions and additions to our strategic direction and any changes made to current initiatives.
This process, although divergent from a traditional strategic planning process, has demonstrated great success over the past five years. The approach of "setting a direction and testing to it" has invigorated the people of MCW, reflecting the innovative spirit that is part of our institutional DNA.
In 2011, the MCW Board of Trustees set forth a set of strategic imperatives for the organization. Strategic imperatives are the high-level criteria used to assess the value of pursuing new strategic initiatives.
- Strengthen Our Brand
- Build a Culture of Philanthropy
- Improve the Health of Our Communities
August - September
October - December
February - March
Strategic Initiatives - Phases
Integrated Into Operations
Strategic Direction - 2016 to 2020
Maintain Excellent Financial Performance
- Diversify and grow revenue
- 3-5% operating margins
- Maintain or improve credit ratings
Reinforce MCW's Value to Our Communities Across Wisconsin
- Expand MCW's visibility, value and brand salience across Wisconsin, inciting engagement and action by stakeholders and partners
- Implement innovative education programs that address workforce needs and lead to improved health in our communities
Build the Capacity for Sustainable Growth
- Enable clinical expansion projects on Milwaukee Regional Medical Center campus
- Maintain strength of existing partnerships
- Expand geographic presence by building new partnerships