Genetic Counseling Career Research & Exploration Workshop
The Genetic Counseling Career Research & Exploration Workshop (GC-CREW) is offered by the Master of Science in Genetic Counseling Program (MSGC) at the Medical College of Wisconsin. This is a virtual, group workshop for undergraduates, recent graduates and those interested in pursuing a career in genetic counseling. This is a free workshop that is offered in the Fall, Spring, and Summer terms. The GC-CREW is intended for individuals who would like to gain an in-depth exposure to the field and are interested in becoming a genetic counselor. The objectives are:
- Learn more about the career of a genetic counselor and the prenatal, cancer and cardiovascular genetics specialties.
- Identify the components of a genetic counseling session
- Illustrate basic genetic counseling skills
- Gain a deeper appreciation for the patient experience
The virtual experience will include the following responsibilities for participants:
- Develop personal goals for the workshop, participating in a mid-point and final evaluation with supervisor.
- Case preparation: Review patient mock chart, read medical literature on weekly topic, research relevant genetic conditions, identify provider and patient appropriate resources
- Construct and interpret family history pedigrees
- Observe standardized patient genetic counseling sessions, document analysis of the sessions and discuss reflections.
- Complete a mock session, role playing the part of the genetic counselor and patient.
Questions or requests for additional information can be directed to email@example.com or (414) 955-5865.
The application deadline for the Fall term is August 15th.
The application deadline for the Spring term is December 15th.
The application deadline for the Summer term is May 1st.
GC-CREW Application Information
The requirements for this workshop include:
- Applicants must be undergraduates (in their junior or senior year), or individuals who have completed their bachelor's degree and are interested in pursuing a career in genetic counseling.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Currently enrolled or completed a college level biology course, preference may be given to applicants who have also taken genetics coursework.
- High-speed internet access and computer with web-camera.
Please review the table below for the Genetic Counseling Career Research & Exploration Workshop application deadlines and start dates:
*Official start date for each workshop will be provided during application process or confirmed by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition to the online application, applicants must submit two (2) letters of recommendation as well as unofficial transcripts from their current and any previously attended college/university. One of the two letters of recommendation must be written by a current or previous college professor, advisor, or tutor. Letters of recommendation written by family members will not be accepted.
Documents such as letters of recommendation and/or transcripts can be sent via email to email@example.com.
All application materials must be received by the application deadline.
Workshop Faculty and Staff
Jennifer Geurts, MS, CGC
Assistant Professor; Program Director, Master of Science in Genetic Counseling Program
Education Program Coordinator II
Sarah Linn, MS, CGC
Certified Pediatric Genetic Counselor
MCW Graduate School
Health Research Center, H2200
8701 Watertown Plank Rd.
Milwaukee, WI 53226
(414) 955-0084 (fax)