In 2013, the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) became an affiliate of the National Coalition Building Institute (NCBI), an international non-profit leadership development network. Since 1984, NCBI has been dedicated to the elimination of racism and other forms of oppression. While each affiliate is independently responsible for sustaining its vitality, the international network of over 60 chapters shares methodology, curriculum and best practices.
The MCW NCBI leadership team, known as the Coalition Builders, is trained to provide NCBI workshops on our campus. The Coalition Builders are composed of MCW faculty and staff who serve as active trainers. Each of the team members participated in a three-day Train-the-Trainer to develop skills to lead a workshop.
The MCW Coalition Builders Team regularly offers the National Coalition Building Institute's (NCBI) award-winning Welcoming Diversity Workshop which has been presented to thousands of groups throughout the world, including schools, colleges and universities, corporations, government agencies, trade unions, religious institutions, and community organizations.
Over 1,500 MCW employees and students have received support and leadership development through these workshops.
The workshop consists of a series of seven highly interactive activities and opportunities to:
- See and welcome the diversity that is present and recognize the diversity that is not present in the room
- Explore our “records” about other groups, as well as the messages we’ve internalized about our own groups
- Identify and express pride in the groups to which we belong
- Hear stories about how oppression and discrimination have impacted ourselves and others
- Talk about how to effectively dialogue with someone who has made a hurtful comment, joke, or slur