Medical Student Education in Emergency Medicine
As the specialty of Emergency Medicine becomes increasingly competitive, our goal is to ensure that students are equipped with the tools they need to succeed in the Match. We prioritize personal relationships with faculty advisors and have a dedicated education team to help you along the road to residency,
Morgan Wilbanks, MD, FACEP
Emergency Medicine Applicants at a Glance
- Winter of M3 year – Find an advisor
- Winter/Spring – Apply for away rotations
- Summer/Fall – Complete MCW EM rotation and one away rotation
- Summer/Fall – Take Step 2 CK and CS (Have Step 2 score in before October if possible)
- Mid-September – ERAS opens
- October 1 – MSPE released
- October through January – Interview Season (most interviews occur in November/December)
- February – Finalize Rank Order List
- Late March – Match Day!
Job Shadow/Observer Opportunities
Looking for medical school experience? Finding your passion? Interested in working with vulnerable populations?
If so, a voluntary job shadow/observation in Emergency Medicine is a privileged opportunity to see and experience the challenges our patients encounter. We want you to see and learn as much as possible in the ED—feel free to ask questions not just about patients, but also about medicine in general and what life is like working in the field, etc.
- At least 16 years old (parent/guardian signature required if under 18)
- Must be fully vaccinated (see health requirements); no exceptions
- May not have direct contact with patients, medical records or equipment
- Dress code is business casual or scrubs
To be considered, you must download, complete and submit the Observer Application Form with required vaccination documentation to email@example.com; please include the reason for your interest.
Applying does not guarantee placement. Once approved, we will work with you to schedule one or two four-hour opportunities.
Meet the Team
Kevin J. McGurk, MD
Assistant Professor; M3 Emergency Medicine Elective Director
Medical Student Education Program Coordinator
Department of Emergency Medicine
Medical College of Wisconsin
Hub for Collaborative Medicine
8701 Watertown Plank Rd.
Milwaukee, WI 53226