Academic and Student Services hero small

Academic and Student Services

Coronavirus Funds for Students

CARES Act (HEERF I) Funding for Students (Spring/Summer 2020)

The application for CARES Act funding is now closed.

The Medical College of Wisconsin has been awarded funds from the federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act), which provides emergency financial grants for eligible students impacted by campus disruptions due to the coronavirus outbreak. Eligible expenses covered by the grants must have direct ties to the disruption of campus operations, such as money spent on additional technology requirements, course materials and healthcare.

CRRSAA (HEERF II) Funding for Students (Spring 2021)

The Medical College of Wisconsin has been awarded funds from the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2021 (CRRSAA or HEERF II) to help students who are struggling with expenses related certain costs incurred after December 27, 2020 that arise due to the coronavirus.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is eligible to receive funds?


Only students who are or could be eligible to participate in programs under Section 484 in Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended (HEA), may receive emergency financial aid grants. A student must have filed a 2019-2020 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to demonstrate eligibility to participate in programs under Section 484 the HEA.

Students must have been enrolled in classes during the Spring 2020 semester when the national emergency was declared.

Unfortunately, these funds cannot be used for students who are paid through a research stipend, enrolled in all online courses, international students, or DACA students.


Students must meet the following eligibility criteria:

  • Must have borrowed federal funds from the Unsubsidized and/or Grad PLUS loan programs for the 2020-2021 year prior to March 1.
  • Must have incurred qualifying expenses due to Coronavirus on or after December 27, 2020. Eligible expenses include PPE, healthcare and/or technology.
  • Be enrolled in a degree program eligible for federal (Title IV) financial aid.

Unfortunately, students enrolled in stipend programs, international students or DACA students are not eligible for funding.

How do I access HEERF funds?

The application link for HEERF II funds was emailed to all active students in March 2021. Be sure to check your email for the information.

What is the application deadline?

The application for CARES Act funding is now closed.

The HEERF II application deadline is March 26, 2021.

How much money will I receive?


The amount of the money awarded to each student will vary based on their unique expenses specific to campus disruptions due COVID-19. All eligible students requesting funds must complete the application and, if the request exceeds $200, provide supporting documentation.

Funds can only be considered for additional expenses incurred during months for which the student is participating in classes.


The amount of funds award to each student will be divided evenly amongst all eligible students with a completed application. The Office of Financial Aid will confirm information submitted on the applications. Students can expect to receive at least $200 based on the pool of eligible students.

What documentation do I need to submit with the application?
For expenses incurred below $200 no receipts are required. You do, however, need to complete the application about your circumstances and what expenses you are requesting. If the total of all your CARES funding requests exceed $200, the application and receipts are required. 
I was hired to work in the summer research program and the program has been canceled or I have lost current or future employment. Am I eligible to receive HEERF I funds for lost earnings?
No. Federal guidelines do not allow funds to be used for lost wages. You may be eligible for unemployment benefits. Additionally, expenses incurred during periods of non-enrollment are ineligible for funds.
Can I apply the money I receive to pay my tuition balance?
MCW cannot keep the funds on your account to pay your tuition balance. Funds must go directly to the student.
Will the money I receive be considered taxable income?
The IRS has said that “this grant is not includible in your gross income.” Visit the IRS website for assistance.
How will MCW disburse the money if my application is approved?
Funds will be disbursed directly to the student through the Student Accounts Office. For students who have direct deposit, funds will be sent to the financial institution via Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT). For students who do not have direct deposit, checks will be mailed to the address currently on file. 
Where can I learn more about the Coronavirus Relief Fund?
More information will be shared in emails and on this webpage as it becomes available. You can also find information on the Department of Education webpages for HEERF I and HEERF II.