High School Program
Student Enrichment Program for Underrepresented Professions (StEP-UP)
Select high school students who demonstrate an interest in science and medicine will:
- Interact with MCW medical and graduate students, as well as practicing physicians.
- Explore career opportunities in medicine, research, and other health professions.
- Participate in professional and personal development sessions.
- Participate in hands-on demonstrations of basic biomedical and clinical science principles to help prepare them for research in a lab setting.
- Receive advising from program staff regarding high school and college courses.
- Participate in advanced programming to complement current science curriculum.
- Personal Development - Helps to give students the knowledge, skills and understanding they need to lead confident, healthy, independent lives and to become informed, active, and responsible citizens.
- Professional Development - The curriculum aims to help students develop the goals, skills, and attributes necessary for success as a student, an applicant to a professional program, and a career professional.
- Hands-on Activities - Help students develop problem solving and critical thinking skills, as well as gain exposure to materials, and equipment in a lab setting.
- Preparation for the Next Step - Students will be given resources and instructions to help prepare them for college.
We believe parent support and participation translates to active and engaged students. Parental sessions will:
- Provide workshops and training materials for parents on how to improve their child’s study skills or learning in various academic subjects.
- Engage families in opportunities to work with their children in setting their academic, college and career goals.
- Provide interaction with community partners, MCW staff, faculty, and students to share resources for parents at orientation.
Attendance is mandatory for every session.
- Students meet one Saturday per month during the academic school year.
- A tentative schedule will be provided to all accepted students.
High School Requirements and Application Procedure
Applications open for the 2019-2020 school year August 1, 2019.
Deadline to apply is October 11, 2019.
To be eligible, students must meet the following criteria:
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Be from a background that is underrepresented in medicine.
- Be able to travel to the MCW-Milwaukee campus for each session.
- Students must have a 2.8 GPA minimum to apply
Please note: Children of MC faculty and staff are not eligible to apply for StEP-UP.