Medical College of Wisconsin Physician Associate Program Admissions Information
The MCW Physician Associate (PA) Program will begin accepting applications in Spring 2024, with the inaugural cohort of students beginning in May 2025. The program will focus on training academically-minded PAs whose personal experience and attributes will enrich service to patients throughout the diverse communities we serve. The MCW PA program welcomes all applicants and seeks individuals with strong critical thinking and professionalism skills who are committed to working as part of a health care team in a range of settings in Wisconsin’s communities and beyond.
The program is in the planning phase and will be applying for provisional accreditation with ARC-PA in Spring 2024. The program is currently not accredited.
If an applicant’s GPA is lower than 3.0, it’s recommended they contact the MCW PA program prior to applying.
Required Pre-Requisite Courses
- Anatomy- 1 semester with lab is required. If Anatomy & Physiology are combined, 2 semesters with lab are required.
- Physiology- 1 semester with lab is required. If Anatomy & Physiology are combined, 2 semesters with lab are required.
- Biology- 2 semesters are required; at least one with lab.
- Chemistry- 2 semesters with lab are required. Chemistry for Science majors is preferred. Chemistry lab is required, even with AP credits.
- Organic Chemistry- 1 semester is required; with lab recommended.
- Biochemistry- 1 semester of upper-level Biochemistry is required.
- Statistics- 1 semester is required.
- Microbiology- 1 semester with lab is required.
- Psychology- 1 semester is required; AP credit accepted.
- English- 2 semesters of English composition or literature are required.
- Medical Terminology- 1 course (at least 1 credit) is required.
Recommended Pre-Requisite Courses
- Advanced Biology- 2 semesters of biological sciences are highly recommended. Examples include advanced biology, neurology, genetics, endocrinology, immunology, and zoology.
- Physics- 1 semester is recommended.
- Writing- 1 semester of a scientific, technical, or healthcare-focused writing course is recommended.
- Scientific Inquiry/Research Course- 1 semester is recommended.
Examples of patient contact hours include but are not limited to: Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA), Community Health Worker, Dietitian, EMT, Emergency Room Technician, Home Health Aide, Laboratory Tech, Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)/Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN), Medic/Corpsman, Medical Assistant, Medical Scribe, Midwife/Doula, Paramedic, Pharmacy Technician, Phlebotomist, Physical Therapy Assistant, Respiratory Therapist, and Surgical Technician.
Applicants are encouraged to contact the MCW PA program if they are unsure whether their health care experience will qualify.
2. Educator/academic advisor
3. Character reference
Letters should speak to the applicant’s ability to be a successful student and future clinician. The character reference should describe overall character qualities that are essential to academic success in the PA program such as: integrity, honesty, resilience, determination, and empathy.
No letters of reference from relatives will be accepted.
The location and format for interviews will be determined by Spring 2024.
We may welcome international applicants in a future application cycle.
For phone inquiries and appointments, program administration can be reached Monday - Friday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Outside of these hours, please contact the program via email for a response within one to two business days.