Friends of the Medical College of Wisconsin
The Friends of the Medical College of Wisconsin is an organization of volunteers from MCW, affiliated institutions and the community. The Friends' activities support the charitable, educational, scientific and community service activities of MCW and its affiliates.
See what support and services the Friends of the Medical College of Wisconsin provide. (PDF)
Since its inception, the Friends have contributed more than $1,135,000 in monetary gifts and equipment to MCW and its affiliates.
Last year, the Friends contributed more than 10,000 hours of service to MCW and its affiliates. Here is a list of some of opportunities to become involved:
- Board of Directors
- Committee Chair or member
Dedicated fundraising efforts make it possible to support our service to MCW.
- Lunch Bags for New Students
- Nut/Candy Sales
- Annual Raffle
- Marcus Movie Ticket Fundraiser
- Other fundraising events such as Books Are Fun Sale and $6 Sale
The magnitude and diversity of Friends' support reflects the varied interests and talents of our organization's membership. In 2015-16, the Friends of the Medical College provided the following support:
- Awarded two Medical School Scholarships for Academic Excellence totaling $26,000.
- Provided $4,000 in Medical Student Travel Awards enabling MCW representation at national meetings.
- Awarded two Graduate Student Scholarships for Public Health totaling $6,000.
- Presented a $1,000 Outstanding Dissertation Award and one $500 Second Place Award.
- Sponsored two Senior Medical Student Service Awards of $500 to graduating students.
- Supported the Student Representative Travel Fund with $4,500.
- Sponsored Graduate School Poster Day with $1,000.
- Awarded $5,000 to Under Represented Scholars in Biomedical Research Scholarship
- Co-sponsored the Student Lunch Bag Giveaway.
An Invitation to Join Friends
We invite you to join our organization. Whether you are seeking an outlet for your special interests and talents or simply wish to support our mission, we welcome your participation.
For additional information, contact us at Friends@mcw.edu.
Executive Committee Friends Board 2016-2017
President: Christine Schaefer
Past President: Renee Hill
Vice President: Open
Secretary: Gail Schemberger
Treasurer: Margaret Haagensen
Endowment: Jan Lennon
General Board Members: Susan Barnes, Jan Brezina, Laura Conklin, Mary Beth Drapp, Jane Kerschner, Joan Sowatzke, Diane VerHaagh, Vera Wilson, Shelley Woodson