Why Choose Our Pediatric Residency Program?
About our Pediatric Residency Program
- Outstanding residents who support and encourage one another in a collegial environment
- World class faculty who are passionate about resident education
- Exceptional breadth and depth of clinical experiences, from general community pediatrics to all pediatric subspecialties
- Individualized attention to each resident's career and life needs, with faculty advisors, program directors, chief residents and staff available to mentor, guide and assist
- Superior fellowships and positions in the most competitive programs and practices obtained by graduates of our program every year
- Comprehensive pediatric curriculum to promote individual career development
- Primary care, hospitalist, global health, subspecialty, hybrid and career development tracks to individualize your learning and optimize your training to be beneficial to your future career
- Community advocacy and medical home curricula for all residents, including participation in community-based projects
- Clinical, basic, and translational research opportunities in all subspecialties
- Potential to participate in the Accelerated Research Pathway of the American Board of Pediatrics, consisting of two years of general pediatric residency followed by four years of fellowship training
- Resident input is valued and used to optimize the resident experience
- Supportive philosophy and generous policies regarding maternity leave, sick leave, and family commitments
- Very competitive salary and benefits package
- Vibrant city with affordable housing, short commute times, excellent schools, safe and diverse neighborhoods, a large population of young professionals and a full spectrum of urban, recreational and outdoor activities
- Global Health Opportunities
- Community Pediatrics Opportunities
I chose to come to Milwaukee for residency for a few reasons. First off, I was very impressed with CHW's presence in Milwaukee; it is the only major pediatric hospital in the city, and the top pediatric hospital in the state. With every pediatric specialty available here, I knew I was going to see a large variety of patients and problems. While the attendings are wonderful and the teaching is exceptional, my favorite part of residency is my co-residents. I expected to learn and work hard, but I did not expect to make such great friends and actually have fun working. Not only do we work well together in the hospital, but we have also had the chance to crash weddings, enjoy festivals, go to Brewers games, and take international trips outside of the hospital.
Coming from Chicago, I was interested to see what Milwaukee had to offer. Milwaukee is a thriving little-big-city with endless restaurants, bars, art, museums, and sports. I definitely wanted to be able to enjoy my free time in residency, and Milwaukee has provided that, even at a low cost. Milwaukee did not disappoint!
Sarah Bauer, MCW pediatric resident, class of 2016
I could not be happier to be training at Children's. It has everything I was looking for in a program. There is just the right combination of academia, clinical experience, and service. I continue to be impressed by the collegial approach to patient-centered care. I have the opportunity to work with patients from all walks of life as Children's is a regional referral center for at least three states. Along with diverse population, Milwaukee offers big city perks while being accessible and affordable. Overall, the people here are kind and welcoming with the Midwestern charm to make it feel like home!
Anna Schmitz, MCW pediatric resident, class of 2017
Medical Education Office
Children's Corporate Center
999 N. 92nd St., Suite 730
Milwaukee, WI 53226
(414) 337-7068 (fax)