- Encourage educators to consider innovations in healthcare education as an area for research focus and scholarship.
- Develop educators research skills and encourage educators, residents, fellows and students to conduct research in healthcare education.
- Learn from a community of scholars so that we all benefit from new and creative approaches to educating students and residents.
IHER Conference Archive
Read about past Innovations in Healthcare Education Research Conferences.
The 6th Annual MCW Innovations Conference was attended by more than 150 educators and students. The conference included opportunities for attendees to view more than 30 poster presentations, 15 podium presentations, workshops and faculty development sessions.
- The #MCW Common Read: Finding Common Language and Shared Experience
Olivia M.T. Davies, BS; Sehr Khan, BS; Gerilyn M. Olsen, BA; Sarah Bennett, BA, MS; David Cipriano, PhD, MS; Arthur R. Derse, JD, MD; Kathlyn Fletcher, MA, MD; Joe Hodapp, BA; Scott Lamm, BS; Sophia Lindekugel, BA; Ashley Ng, BS; Zoe Retzlaff, BS; Elizabeth Suelzer, MLIS, AHIP; Kimberly Tyler, BS, MS; Catherine Ferguson, MD; Wendy Peltier, MD; and Martin Muntz, MD
- Faculty Expectations of Entering Medical Students Skills and Values
Jane Machi, MD; Joseph Budovec, MD; Greg Kaupla, MCE; and William J. Hueston, MD
- Clinical Exposure and Cultural Competency Training in the Preclinical Years: a Pilot Program involving Veteran Patients
John Wagner, BA, MA; Mara Peterson, BS; Maggie Murphy, MT-BC; Ramadevi Parachuri, MD
- Improving Residents as Educators in Clinical Settings
Jacqueline M. Powell, BS; Bipin Thapa, MD; Megan M. Haak, MA; Greg Kaupla; Kristina Kaljo, PhD; Heather Toth, MD; Paul Lemen, MD; Kenneth Simons, MD; Robert Treat, PhD; Robert Trevino, MD, PhD; Laura Walker; Caitlin Pilon; and Marie Padilla
The conference featured keynote speaker Elizabeth Baker, MD, MHPE, Senior Associate Dean at the Rush Medical College in Chicago, Illinois. Dr. Baker presented on "Reimagining the Curriculum: Educational philosophy, 'flipping the classroom' and innovative transformation."
The 5th Annual MCW Innovations Conference was attended by more than 150 educators and students. The conference included opportunities for attendees to view more than 30 poster presentations, 15 podium presentations, workshops and faculty development sessions.
- Rising M-1 Medical Student Anxiety: Six Years Later with a New Curriculum and Generation of Students
Robert Treat, PhD; Diane Brown, MS; Koenraad De Roo; William J. Hueston, MD; Amy Prunuske, PhD; Kristina Kaljo, PhD; Jennifer Janowitz, MS; Dawn Bragg, PhD
- Capacity Coaching for Patients who are not Difficult, but have Difficult Lives
Kathryn Havens, MD; Dr. Laura Miller; Kristyn Ertl; Kasey Boehmer, PhD; Hilary Ryan, MSW
- Medical Student's "Final Answer": Game Show Teaching Sessions Well Rated Even After NBME Examination
Sara Lauck, MD, MCW Department of Pediatrics; Erica Chou, MD, MCW
- Increasing Pharmacy Students' Knowledge of Medical Interpretation: Early Collaboration with Medical Interpreter Students
Sue Korek, MAED, MCW School of Pharmacy; Karen MacKinnon, BPharm, RPh, MCW School of Pharmacy; Rodney Ramos, Sr., BS, Milwaukee Area Technical College
The conference featured keynote speaker, Dr. John Andrews from the University of Minnesota, who shared his insights as a leader in a competency-based medical school program in pediatrics (EPAC) that involves collaboration with several other medical schools.
The 4th Annual MCW Innovations Conference was attended by more than 130 educators and students from MCW and schools and universities from Wisconsin, Illinois and Minnesota. The conference included opportunities for attendees to view more than 30 poster presentations, 17 podium presentations, workshops and faculty development sessions.
- Evaluation of an Interdisciplinary Program Designed to Promote the Self Efficacy of Medical Students Underrepresented in Medicine
Amy Prunuske, PhD; Anna Wirta Kosobuski; Abigail Whitney, BS; Andrew Skildum, PhD
- Using Likelihood Rations to Improve the Quality of Resident Medical Education
Justin Adams, MD
- No Difference Between Third-Year Medical Student and Intern Presenter Empowerment Action Scores During Pediatric Patient and Family Family-Centered Rounds
Sara Lauck, MD; Sarah Vepraskas, MD; Jennifer Hadjiev, MD; Anjali Sharman, MD; Heather Toth, MD, Dawn Bragg, PhD; Michael Weisgerber, MD, MS
- SURFBoards Program: An Innovative Mixed Methods Comprehensive Pediatric Resident Boards Review Curriculum
Amanda Rogers, MD; Michael Weisgerber, MD; Jennifer Di Rocco, DO; Sara Lauck, MD
- Using LibGuides to Promote Self-Directed Learning
Elizabeth Suelzer, MLIS; Barabara Ruggeri, MLIS; Rita Sieracki, MLS