Medical College of Wisconsin Obstetric Anesthesia Fellowship
The division of Obstetric Anesthesiology at the Medical College of Wisconsin offers a 1 year ACGME accredited fellowship program. The program provides subspecialty training focusing on the anesthetic care of obstetric patients throughout their pregnancy and labor and delivery experience.
The Obstetric Anesthesiology fellowship is responsible for the specialty training of Obstetric Anesthesiology physicians that ensures their competency and autonomy for independent practice in caring for the Obstetric patient populations.
The Obstetric Anesthesiology Fellowship provides a supportive culture for faculty, housestaff, and administrative personnel in order to promote innovation and excellence in OB Anesthesiology training, as well as a commitment to the principles of life-long learning and healthcare equity in order to serve the needs of our obstetric patient communities.
The programs goal for the fellows is to gain an increased level of knowledge of routine and high-risk OB Anesthesia care, extending clinical knowledge and skills to include the most complex obstetric anesthesia cases. To also build bridges and coordinate care between the intersecting practices Obstetric Anesthesiology, Obstetrics, Neonatology, and Nursing and to become an educator and advisor for anesthesiology colleagues, and colleagues in other fields.
Froedtert Hospital's Birth Center, the primary training site for our OB Anesthesiology fellows, has been named:
Meet the Faculty
L&D Unit (6–7 blocks)
Neonatal Intensive Care (2 weeks)
Maternal-Fetal-Medicine (1 block)
Adult Congenital Heart Disease (1 block)
Transfusion Medicine (1 week)
Research (3 blocks)
High-Risk Obstetric Anesthesia Clinic (one afternoon every week)
- Lectures with OB Anesthesia faculty
- Monthly SOAP-sponsored Virtual Obstetric Anesthesiology Grand Rounds
- Multidisciplinary lectures – monthly lectures with Maternal-Fetal-Medicine fellows or Adult Congenital Heart Disease fellows
- Journal Club
- Crucial Conversations
- Influencing without Authority
- Trust and Building Relationships
- Leading through Change
For all Anesthesiology fellows at MCW:
- Weekly Departmental lectures on Wednesday mornings – case conferences, Grand Rounds, M&M conferences, visiting professor lectures
- Oral Board Prep Review - A four-session oral board review series takes place from late winter to early spring to assist MCW fellows preparing to take their oral boars in the upcoming year
- Conflict and communication
- Teaching, feedback, and effective debriefing
- OB TeamSTEPPS multidisciplinary team simulation training twice during the year
- Participation in OB Simulation training for residents during OB Anesthesia Workshops 1-2 times during the year
- Collaborative IRB Training Initiative (CITI) certification for ethics in human subjects research
- Neonatal resuscitation
For more information about the Obstetric Anesthesia fellowship program, please get in touch.
Ayse Kula, MD
Associate Professor of Obstetric Anesthesiology
Education Program Coordinator
Department of Anesthesiology
9200 W. Wisconsin Ave; P347
Milwaukee, WI 53226