Obstetric Anesthesia Fellowship
The division of Obstetric Anesthesiology at the Medical College of Wisconsin offers a 1 year ACGME accredited fellowship program. The program provides subspecialty training focusing on the anesthetic care of obstetric patients throughout their pregnancy and labor and delivery experience.
The Obstetric Anesthesiology fellowship is responsible for the specialty training of Obstetric Anesthesiology physicians that ensures their competency and autonomy for independent practice in caring for the Obstetric patient populations.
The Obstetric Anesthesiology Fellowship provides a supportive culture for faculty, housestaff, and administrative personnel in order to promote innovation and excellence in OB Anesthesiology training, as well as a commitment to the principles of life-long learning and healthcare equity in order to serve the needs of our obstetric patient communities.
The programs goal for the fellows is to gain an increased level of knowledge of routine and high-risk OB Anesthesia care, extending clinical knowledge and skills to include the most complex obstetric anesthesia cases. To also build bridges and coordinate care between the intersecting practices Obstetric Anesthesiology, Obstetrics, Neonatology, and Nursing and to become an educator and advisor for anesthesiology colleagues, and colleagues in other fields.
The Fellowship in Obstetric Anesthesiology at MCW is a 12-month program that commences on July 1. The year is divided into 13 blocks, each lasting 4 weeks. No overnight calls. No weekend calls. 3 weeks of vacations. Fellows have weekday clinical responsibilities from 7am to 5pm.
L&D Unit (6–7 blocks)
Neonatal intensive care (1 block)
Maternal-Fetal-Medicine (1 block)
Adult Congenital Heart Disease (1 block)
Blood Bank rotation (2 weeks)
Research (3 blocks)
High-risk Obstetric Anesthesia Clinic (one afternoon every week)
- Lectures with OB Anesthesia faculty
- Monthly SOAP-sponsored Virtual Obstetric Anesthesiology Grand Rounds
- Multidisciplinary lectures – monthly lectures with Maternal-Fetal-Medicine fellows or Adult Congenital Heart Disease fellows
- Journal Club
- Crucial Conversations
- Influencing without Authority
- Trust and Building Relationships
- Leading through Change
For all Anesthesiology fellows at MCW
- Weekly Departmental lectures on Friday morning – case conferences, Grand Rounds, M&M conferences, visiting professor lectures
- Oral Board Prep Review - A four-session oral board review series takes place from late winter to early spring to assist MCW fellows preparing to take their oral boars in the upcoming year
- Conflict and Communication
- Teaching, feedback, and effective debriefing
- OB TeamSTEPPS multidisciplinary team simulation training twice during the year
- Participation in OB Simulation training for residents during OB Anesthesia Workshops 1-2 times during the year
- Collaborative IRB Training Initiative (CITI) certification for ethics in human subjects research
- Neonatal resuscitation
We are utilizing a fillable PDF “Obstetric Anesthesiology Common Application” provided by the Society for Obstetric Anesthesia and Perinatology (SOAP).
If you are interested in a position, please contact fellowship coordinator today:
- Complete applications forms and submit required documents to fellowship coordinator (see Application Checklist below)
- Register as an applicant with SF Match - complete the registration process in SF’s Match registration, electronically sign the Match Participation Agreement, and pay registration fee that covers registration and matching
- Schedule an interview
- Rank programs with SF Match by June 16, 2020
Please submit all documents to fellowship coordinator Sharon Stiles
- Obstetric Anesthesiology Common Application (PDF)
- Obstetric Anesthesiology Supplementary Questions (PDF)
- Personal Statement describing your interest in the Obstetric Anesthesia Fellowship and your plans after completion of the fellowship
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- Three Letters of Recommendation - addressed to Dr. Ayse Kula, Program Director
- Copy of Medical School Diploma
- Copy of USMLE scores
- ECFMG Certificate (if applicable)
Important dates for 2021-2022 Fellowship position
- December 2019 – May 2020: Submit applications to fellowship coordinator and register with SF Match for 2021-2022 Academic year
- January 2020 – May 2020: Interview period
- June 16, 2020: Rank List Deadline
- June 23, 2020: Match Day
- July 1, 2021: Obstetric Anesthesiology Fellowship Start Date
We wish you the best of luck!
For more information about the Obstetric Anesthesia fellowship program, please get in touch.
Ayse Kula, MD
OB Fellowship Coordinator
Department of Anesthesiology
Froedtert East Hospital
9200 W. Wisconsin Ave; P347
Milwaukee, WI 53226
Attn: Kim Stanton (Obstetric Anesthesiology)
(414) 805-5915 (fax)