Obstetric Anesthesia Fellowship
The division of Obstetric Anesthesiology at the Medical College of Wisconsin offers a 1 year ACGME accredited fellowship program. The program provides subspecialty training focusing on the anesthetic care of obstetric patients throughout their pregnancy and labor and delivery experience.
The Obstetric Anesthesiology team provides care at two locations in the Milwaukee area: the Froedtert Birth Center (physically located within Children's Wisconsin), and St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center (Wheaton Hospitals and Clinics). Together, these hospitals provide obstetric services for nearly 5000 deliveries per year. Both hospitals are regional high-risk centers for their systems.
Rotations and opportunities available:
- High-risk labor and delivery care, including clinic and ward-related work with the Maternal-Fetal-Medicine group.
- Interdisciplinary intrauterine and fetal surgery team, including EXIT procedures and Meningomyelocele repair.
- Adult congenital heart clinic for pregnant patients with continuity of care through labor and delivery.
- Fetal and placental surgery programs.
- First hour of life care of the newborn.
- Research - A minimum of three months of research is required in the program; current projects include obesity in pregnancy and multidisciplinary communication.
Current research activities include combined spinal/epidural for labor and cesarean sections, and ephedrine for hypotension prophylaxis during spinal anesthesia. The fellow also will have the opportunity to participate in medical student and resident teaching under the supervision of the obstetric anesthesia faculty.
Application and selection process
Application forms are provided by the Society for Obstetric Anesthesia and Perinatology.
Required application forms and documents should be completed and forwarded to the fellowship coordinator:
- OB Anesthesia Fellowship Application and Supplementary Questions (both documents required)
- Personal Statement
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- Three Letters of Recommendation - addressed to Dr. Ayse Kula, Program Director
- Copy of Medical School Diploma
- Copy of USMLE scores
- ECFMG Certificate - if applicable
All items can be sent via email to Sharon Stiles (firstname.lastname@example.org) or USPS mail at:
Department of Anesthesiology
Froedtert East Hospital
9200 W. Wisconsin Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 53226
Attn: Sharon Stiles (Obstetric Anesthesiology)
For more information about the Obstetric Anesthesia fellowship program, please get in touch