MOCA® Simulation Course
The course is endorsed by the American Society of Anesthesiologists® to provide MOCA® simulation training at the STAR Center.
Please check back!
Testimonials of previous participants
This was fantastic! Thank you for making learning so enjoyable :)
Drs. Novalija, Ellinas, Diaz - Thanks for a wonderful, productive engaging and fun day.
Monthly full-day course during Anesthesia rotation
- Airway skills
- Invasive skills (IVs, arterial lines, central lines, spinal puncture)
- Basic scenarios using high fidelity simulation (hypotension due to blood loss, hypoxia due to bronchospasm, etc.)
4 half-day sessions per year with groups of 7-9 residents
- Communication (“speak up”)
- Central line skills, Basic Airway skills
- Anesthesia core skills
CA1Anesthesia core skills
In the first 2 weeks of Anesthesia training:
- Management of common and/or critical events (hypoxia, hypotension, tachycardia, bradycardia, machine failure)
After 6 weeks of training, before taking over night call:
- Intubation on the floor
- Management of difficult airway scenarios
- Simulation sessions run twice a week with groups of 2-3 residents throughout the year. Scenarios using high fidelity simulation tailored to their level of training.
- Remediation sessions are scheduled as needed to enhance learning plans
Whole day event with ability to practice with difficult tools at workstations
Central line workshop
Four hour course with hands on stations (practice landmarks and ultrasound technique for internal jugular, subclavian and femoral vein access)
- Six two hour courses with whole class of fellows
- Mock Orals
In situ at the VA Medical Center ORs with focus on team training and improvement of systems issues
- Malignant Hyperthermia
- Code in the OR
- Fire in the OR