2023 Visiting Student Health Equity Program - Clinical Rotation Travel Award
The Award is designed to:
- Expose students to the outstanding training programs at MCW
- Cultural inclusion and professional identity development opportunities
- Connect students with underrepresented faculty, current students, and trainees at MCW
- Opportunities to attend resident didactics and MCW conferences
- Provide opportunities with URiM faculty for mentoring and advising
- Provide students an opportunity to experience the city of Milwaukee and the surrounding areas
MCW accepts applications through the VSAS (Visiting Student Application Service) for full-time senior medical students attending an LCME-accredited medical school or COCA-accredited osteopathic medical school seeking to take an MCW 4-week elective for credit during the fall term only (July - December). Rotation dates are established by MCW and noted on the VSAS MCW Information Page.
- Target Population:
- Current 4th year Medical School students who are from or have lived experience engaging people in underserved communities in the United States.
- Attending a LCME accredited medical school
- In good standing at home institution
- Had demonstrated record of academic excellence
- Accepted students will receive a travel stipend up to $2,000 to cover application costs, housing, transportation, and other living expenses.
- Students may attend resident didactics, MCW conferences and development sessions (as applicable).
More information is available on the MCW Visiting Senior Medical Students Program Page. All program rotations are subject to availability.
How to Apply
Complete the VSAS application and the MCW Visiting Health Equity Student Clinical Elective Award Application
All applicants are asked to respond to one of the following prompts In 500 words or less, please describe:
- What role you have played or want to play in promoting health equity in your community.
- A challenge you encountered during your medical school education and how you responded to it.
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis, by an established committee, beginning April 3, 2023. Applicants not selected for the travel scholarship may still be accepted as visiting students for elective credit.
Contact with questions or for more information
Office of Diversity and Inclusion