Quick Links for the Forte Payments System.
Locked out of Payments? Contact us.
Process and Financial FAQs
NO. There is no card activation fee.
Note: There is fees charged if the participant uses the card at an ATM (Check Balance, Withdrawal).
Download the Participant Handout for additional details.
Acceptable documentation must show proof and method of payment. If proof of payment is not part of the documentation, a separate document must be supplied to satisfy this requirement. A copy of a cancelled check, credit card receipt or credit card statement is acceptable.
Original receipts or scanned images are acceptable when receipts are required.
PDF Format only.
MCW Policies for Compensation and Reimbursement
Prepayments are not possible in the Payments System. If a supplier or participant requests prepayment, the Authorized Department Representative should contact Purchasing for assistance.
With the exception of the research study participant payments and certain award payments and royalties, all payments for services by employees must be processed through Payroll rather than Accounts Payable. To request payment for these services, a memorandum must be sent to Payroll describing the services, dollars to be paid and account information.
Some business expenses paid to or on behalf of employees may be treated as wages, subject to Form W-2 and payroll tax reporting.
This includes indirect moving expenses, all Cash Gifts or cash equivalents such as gift certificates, gift cards, awards or gifts to employees, some Tangible Gifts and other payments which are considered a taxable benefit. Tangible gifts under $100.00 per occurrence are considered De minimis and will not be taxed. For additional limits or restrictions, refer to Policy BF.PA.043 Gifts. Prizes and Awards.
The IRS imposes certain requirements on MCW in order for an employee to receive reimbursement for a business expense. MCW has an Accountable Plan for reimbursement. The Plan requirements, which apply in every instance, are defined below:
- The amount reimbursed to an employee must be for an expense incurred while performing a service as an employee of MCW. MCW requires a clear business purpose for all reimbursements.
- There must be adequate accounting within a reasonable timeframe. To comply with IRS regulations and facilitate timely Department review and authorization, MCW requires expenses be submitted for reimbursement within 60 days of the date incurred. Reimbursements submitted after 60 days will require written authorization from the Authorized Department Representative or Chairperson. Expenses submitted after six months will not be reimbursed.
- Any excess reimbursement or allowance must be returned within a reasonable period of time. The IRS defines a reasonable amount of time as 120 days.
Provided these three requirements are met, MCW will not consider the reimbursement as taxable income to the employee.
Yes, a single Forte Payment Card can be used simultaneously or concurrently for both participant payments and reimbursements on multiple research studies.
- $60.00 or Less - Individual gift card payments to research study participants for amounts of $60 or less are considered by MCW to be de minimis in nature and do not require a social security number to be collected from participants. The research study participant’s proper legal name, signature, date and amount received are required to be collected and stored by the research study site and submitted to Accounts Payable. This de minimis amount is not applicable to check payments.
- Greater than $60.00 – Individual gift card payments to research study participants greater than $60 require the collection of the participant’s proper legal name, home address, social security number and amount received. This information must be stored securely (e.g. in locked drawer if paper format, or an encrypted file if in electronic format; the key for which is kept by a limited number of people who have a need to know) at the research study site, and also submitted via secure means (e.g. encrypted file) to Accounts Payable.
- Gift Card Payments should not be used for additional reimbursable expenses for research study participants which are reimbursed separately.
- Any loss or theft of gift cards must be reported to Public Safety. Departments are responsible for replacing any gift cards that are not covered by institutional insurance.
Forte Payments (Software) FAQs
Make sure your manager requests a Forte Payments account with the role "Participant Check in and Pay" using the sign up form.
Then, take the online training at the URL provided by the Finance Group when they processed your account setup request.
2. Check in the next visit to be paid through Payments as “Occurred.”
3. Finish Check-in and Pay as you would for a first-time visit/payment.
Note: Do not forget to attach the signed ICF page and any reimbursement forms/receipts (if applicable)
Locked out of Payments? Reset your password.
- participant's proper legal name
- home address
- social security number
If the research study is established in OnCore, this information may be automatically securely transferred to Forte.
Any loss or theft of Forte Payment Cards should be reported to Research Study Coordinator who will promptly request a replacement card. Once reported as missing, the replacement card will be issued and any remaining balance will be transferred to the replacement card.