Main Campus Entrance-MKE

Research Systems

Quick Links

Quick Links for the Forte Payments System.

How do I get started with Payments?
Getting Started with Forte Payments is as easy as 1, 2, 3… just download the Forte Payments Quick Start Guide. 

Download Guide

I am locked out of Payments, what should I do?

Locked out of Payments? Contact us.  

Contact Us

Where can I find Payments?
Payments is a web-based application, so wherever you have internet access, you have access to Forte Payments. 

Login to Payments

How do I register a Protocol for Payments?
Once you have a Forte Payments Account, you can submit the form below to request a protocol setup in the Forte Payments System.

Learn More

Process and Financial FAQs

How long does a Payment transaction take to be processed in Oracle?
Forte Payment processing into our Oracle system occurs at the end of each day, so reporting of daily transaction activity is generally available on a next day basis. 

See All Forms

How do I request new compensation cards?
Follow this Payments Card Request link to request & obtain new cards. The Financial Reviewer can request cards and generally obtain them on a same-day basis, depending on the timing of the request. Please contact MCW Accounts Payable for urgent requests.  

See All Forms

How do I replace a lost or stolen compensation card?
The coordinator must use the Replace Payments Card Form to request issuance of replacement cards. 

See All Forms

Payment has been approved. How long until funds are available to the Participant?
Payments are usually available by the end of the next business day.
Is there are card activation fee?

NO. There is no card activation fee. 

Note: There is fees charged if the participant uses the card at an ATM (Check Balance, Withdrawal).  

Download the Participant Handout for additional details. 

Download Handout

Are there costs associated with using Forte Payments?
Other than the actual payments to participants and any approved reimbursements, there is NO cost to your department as MCW will pay for all other costs associated with use of the Forte Payment System.  
What documentation do I need to provide for Participant Reimbursements?
All reimbursements must be substantiated with documentation to support the expense including the amount, date, place, supplier or individual (employee or non-employee) name and address and a detailed description to support the business purpose of the expense.

Acceptable documentation must show proof and method of payment. If proof of payment is not part of the documentation, a separate document must be supplied to satisfy this requirement. A copy of a cancelled check, credit card receipt or credit card statement is acceptable.

Original receipts or scanned images are acceptable when receipts are required.

PDF Format only. 
What do I do with reimbursement receipts?
Every day, whenever a reimbursement(s) has been reviewed and approved, the documents must be attached to an email and sent to  Please include the Payments Protocol Number/Name and Subject Name in the email.
What is 1099 Tax Reporting?
1099 Tax Reporting refers to reporting of taxable payments for certain non employee compensation, rents, royalties and other supplier payments.
Where do I submit required documentation for Reimbursements
Send copies of all Reimbursement Receipts and Mileage forms to  

MCW Policies for Compensation and Reimbursement 

Can I do Prepayments?

Prepayments are not possible in the Payments System. If a supplier or participant requests prepayment, the Authorized Department Representative should contact Purchasing for assistance.

Can Study Participants who are MCW Employees receive stipends?

With the exception of the research study participant payments and certain award payments and royalties, all payments for services by employees must be processed through Payroll rather than Accounts Payable. To request payment for these services, a memorandum must be sent to Payroll describing the services, dollars to be paid and account information.
Some business expenses paid to or on behalf of employees may be treated as wages, subject to Form W-2 and payroll tax reporting.
This includes indirect moving expenses, all Cash Gifts or cash equivalents such as gift certificates, gift cards, awards or gifts to employees, some Tangible Gifts and other payments which are considered a taxable benefit. Tangible gifts under $100.00 per occurrence are considered De minimis and will not be taxed. For additional limits or restrictions, refer to Policy BF.PA.043 Gifts. Prizes and Awards.

Employee Reimbursements

The IRS imposes certain requirements on MCW in order for an employee to receive reimbursement for a business expense. MCW has an Accountable Plan for reimbursement. The Plan requirements, which apply in every instance, are defined below:

  • The amount reimbursed to an employee must be for an expense incurred while performing a service as an employee of MCW. MCW requires a clear business purpose for all reimbursements.
  • There must be adequate accounting within a reasonable timeframe. To comply with IRS regulations and facilitate timely Department review and authorization, MCW requires expenses be submitted for reimbursement within 60 days of the date incurred. Reimbursements submitted after 60 days will require written authorization from the Authorized Department Representative or Chairperson. Expenses submitted after six months will not be reimbursed.
  • Any excess reimbursement or allowance must be returned within a reasonable period of time. The IRS defines a reasonable amount of time as 120 days.

Provided these three requirements are met, MCW will not consider the reimbursement as taxable income to the employee.

Can a Participant use the same Compensation Card for multiple enrolled studies?

Yes, a single Forte Payment Card can be used simultaneously or concurrently for both participant payments and reimbursements on multiple research studies. 

What is the MCW policy on Gift Card Payments?
  1. $60.00 or Less - Individual gift card payments to research study participants for amounts of $60 or less are considered by MCW to be de minimis in nature and do not require a social security number to be collected from participants. The research study participant’s proper legal name, signature, date and amount received are required to be collected and stored by the research study site and submitted to Accounts Payable. This de minimis amount is not applicable to check payments.
  2. Greater than $60.00 – Individual gift card payments to research study participants greater than $60 require the collection of the participant’s proper legal name, home address, social security number and amount received.  This information must be stored securely (e.g. in locked drawer if paper format, or an encrypted file if in electronic format; the key for which is kept by a limited number of people who have a need to know) at the research study site, and also submitted via secure means (e.g. encrypted file) to Accounts Payable.
  • Gift Card Payments should not be used for additional reimbursable expenses for research study participants which are reimbursed separately.
  • Any loss or theft of gift cards must be reported to Public Safety.  Departments are responsible for replacing any gift cards that are not covered by institutional insurance.
What is considered a Cash Gift?
Cash Gifts include cash, checks, and cash equivalent gifts such as gift certificates or gift cards.

Forte Payments (Software) FAQs

Where can I get training in Forte Payments?

Make sure your manager requests a Forte Payments account with the role "Participant Check in and Pay" using the sign up form. 

Then, take the online training at the URL provided by the Finance Group when they processed your account setup request.


How do I enter in visits for subjects who have been paid by another method already?
1. Mark the visits that have already occurred (and have been paid through another route) as “N/A” in the Payments system.

2. Check in the next visit to be paid through Payments as “Occurred.”

3. Finish Check-in and Pay as you would for a first-time visit/payment. 

Note: Do not forget to attach the signed ICF page and any reimbursement forms/receipts (if applicable) 
How do I Add or Remove Study Personnel on an Existing Protocol in Payments?
Please use the Existing Protocol Change Request Form.

Request Changes

How to I request changes to an existing protocol in Forte Payments?
Please use the Existing Protocol Change Request Form.

Request Changes

What should I do if I get locked out of Payments?

Locked out of Payments? Reset your password. 

Reset Password

How do I enter a new protocol in Payments?
Once you have a Forte Payments Account, you will submit New Protocol in Payments Request form

Submit a Request

What if I have a change in Protocol Accrual or Enrollment Status?
Please use the Existing Protocol Change Request Form.

Request Changes

What if I have changes to Stipend Schedule or Reimbursements?
Please use the Existing Protocol Change Request Form.

Request Changes

What Participant information is required to use Forte Payments?
The following information required to be collected from the study participant, then entered and stored in the Forte Payment System:

 - participant's proper legal name

 - home address

 - social security number

If the research study is established in OnCore, this information may be automatically securely transferred to Forte. 

Any loss or theft of Forte Payment Cards should be reported to Research Study Coordinator who will promptly request a replacement card.  Once reported as missing, the replacement card will be issued and any remaining balance will be transferred to the replacement card. 
What is a Forte Payments Card?
A Forte Payment Card is a reloadable debit card that provides a secure method of payment for research study participants . The card may be used at ATM’s and anywhere Visa cards are accepted.
What is OnCore?
OnCore is MCW’s enterprise software for lifecycle management of research studies from inception to completion.