Medical Student Training
We are actively involved in the teaching and curriculum development for our medical students:
- GIM faculty are clerkship directors for the M3 and M4 inpatient and outpatient Department of Medicine rotations.
- A GIM faculty is the Course director for the MCW M2 Introduction to Clinical Examination course.
- GIM faculty precept M3 and M4 students in their outpatient Medicine experience.
- GIM faculty precept M1 and M2 students in their Clinical Continuum and Introduction to Clinical Examination courses.
- GIM faculty are active as clinical advisors for students, serve on numerous medical school advisory committees and provide leadership for the local AOA chapter.
- GIM coordinates M4 electives including, The Art of Medicine through the Humanities, Apprenticeship with a Master Clinician, and a new elective emphasizing nutrition.
We are actively involved in the teaching and curriculum development for our residents:
- GIM has core responsibility for the longitudinal clinic experience for all residents at their 3 different sites: Froedtert East Clinic, Primary Care Initiative sites, and the Veterans Affairs Medical Center.
- GIM coordinates the Resident pre-clinic conference (with selected conferences emphasizing geriatric medicine).
- GIM faculty coordinate Ambulatory Block Rotations including Women's Health, Ambulatory Immersion Block and Behavioral Medicine.
- GIM faculty help coordinate and participate in the Intern knowledge and skills-based one-week Intern 101 activities.
- GIM faculty attend on the Teaching Ward Teams at Froedtert and Veteran's Affairs Hospitals.
Also see the MCW Internal Medicine Residency Program.
We offer a flexible fellowship training program for those interested in careers in academic General Internal Medicine. Federally funded fellowship positions focus on areas including health outcomes, palliative care, medical informatics and educational research.
Weekly city-wide division meetings provide clinical topic updates, case reports and structured faculty development activities.
Continuing Medical Education Programs
We sponsor CME programs for continuing education of practicing clinicians such as our annual Update in Primary Care in Door County, Wisconsin.